BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for snap ring pliers, specifically for doing the snap rings on the wheel bearings.
I have several pairs already, I typically use one pair, can’t read the name on it, it was my grandpas, has different ends you can put it in. Very sold set of pliers....but. They just don’t go big enough for the snap ring on the wheel bearings. I was using an old set of long needle nose pliers which worked great until the tip broke.

What’s everyone using? Is there a “size” range for them? The wheel bearings are the only snap ring I’ve ever came across that I can’t get out with my usual pliers. Looking to just order one, so links, brands/part numbers would be helpful. I bought the biggest set I could find locally and they aren’t big enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,100 Posts
Hey everyone,
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for snap ring pliers, specifically for doing the snap rings on the wheel bearings.
I have several pairs already, I typically use one pair, can’t read the name on it, it was my grandpas, has different ends you can put it in. Very sold set of pliers....but. They just don’t go big enough for the snap ring on the wheel bearings. I was using an old set of long needle nose pliers which worked great until the tip broke.

What’s everyone using? Is there a “size” range for them? The wheel bearings are the only snap ring I’ve ever came across that I can’t get out with my usual pliers. Looking to just order one, so links, brands/part numbers would be helpful. I bought the biggest set I could find locally and they aren’t big enough.

They always have these at O'Reillys, AutoZone or Napa. The one I got at O-Reillys was a decent pair. You can get it online if you're not in a rush but it's easier to see if it will work when it's in your hands.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They always have these at O'Reillys, AutoZone or Napa. The one I got at O-Reillys was a decent pair. You can get it online if you're not in a rush but it's easier to see if it will work when it's in your hands.
The last pair I got was the biggest pair at oreillys. Sadly, they didn’t work...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you have these? I want to confirm they work. They look nice!
I see it says 19mm-60mm. I think the wheel bearings are 90mm. Realoem says the snap ring is 90x3 so I’m guessing the snap ring is 90mm
Thanks

Edit: must be a generic picture, I found them on their own website and they say 85-140mm so those should work.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
44-11-J3 is 40-100mm
44-11-J4 is 85-140mm
Either should work - wheel bearings are 85mm and 90mm. I should probably opt for the larger ones.

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,187 Posts
44-11-J3 is 40-100mm
44-11-J4 is 85-140mm
Either should work - wheel bearings are 85mm and 90mm. I should probably opt for the larger ones.

The snap ring holes aren't that far apart, unless they gauge the strength of the pliers by the size of the ring? They only have to squeeze the ends together a little bit.

·
Registered
2005 e46 330xi 6spd
138 Posts
44-11-J3 is 40-100mm
44-11-J4 is 85-140mm

The larger size (Knipex 44-11-J4, they bill them as 12 3/4") worked fantastic. I did my rear wheels last spring. The tips fit the holes in the clip without any slop, and they had plenty of leverage to squeeze the clip. I wouldn't go with anything else. Homedepot has them too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts