E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently notice that sometimes there will be white smoke coming out of my exhaust it rarely happens but I notice that it does happen, it doesn’t have a smell to it and goes away pretty quickly, no lights, or overheating or loss of coolant but I have a bad feeling that it is a blown head gasket but wanted to see other peoples thoughts and opinions on it, I checked the oil and coolant to see if it is mixed and as of right now it does looks normal. Lmk what you guys think

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Is it when it is cooler ? Exhaust does have water in it - it is a result of combustion just like a gas furnace. So if the air is cool enough - the water will condense as soon as it leaves the tail pipe.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
White "smoke" that disapates quickly is usually condensation. Leak down test will tell you if there is a head gasket issue but I would not jump to that coclusion - especially with no smell to the "smoke".

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
I was getting that for a while. It seemed almost random, but I only noticed it while stopped or just starting to move from a stop. Sometimes there was quite a bit. I redid the CCV system and haven't had it since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was getting that for a while. It seemed almost random, but I only noticed it while stopped or just starting to move from a stop. Sometimes there was quite a bit. I redid the CCV system and haven't had it since.
Yeah that’s what’s going on with mine too I noticed that it’s when I start the car and sometimes when I’m stopped at a red light and start driving, it’s just randomly too, do u have a link where u bought your ccv system or what you did to fix it? I might try seeing if thats the problem

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Yeah that’s what’s going on with mine too I noticed that it’s when I start the car and sometimes when I’m stopped at a red light and start driving, it’s just randomly too, do u have a link where u bought your ccv system or what you did to fix it? I might try seeing if thats the problem
I used this kit: BMW 330Ci Parts | FCP Euro

I also did the oil filter housing gasket and the vanos oil feed line at the same time. There are several youtube videos about it. I think I mostly followed the 50s kid one. I did it with the intake manifold on. More info here: OFHG & CCV - other synergistic tasks?

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
taste it.

If it doesn't make you spit, it's fine.
If it's not condensing enough to taste, it's fine.
If you're not losing coolant, it's fine.

BMW likes to run their engines rich when cold,
which dumps a lot of water into the exhaust...

t

1 - 11 of 11 Posts