E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Here is the situation chronologically:

I bought a my 330Ci 2004 5 months ago with 52k now it has 60k.

After 2 months the yellow yellow oil light came on so I decided to take it for an oil change thinking that the previous owner had not put enough oil/ put cheap oil before selling it.

After the oil change the light came on again and I started smelling exhaust smell from the AC vent

I took it back to the shop where I had my oil changed and they told me that the oil cap was missing the gasket thus manking the oil leak from the top.

While researching online I found out that it was common for the E46 to have Valve cover gasket problems around 60K so I went ahead and changed myself

2 weeks later I purchased the oil cap from the dealership and things started going bad again

After driving back from work one day the yellow light came back on so I decided to check the oil level to determine if it was a sensor problem...5 Gallons of oil burst out of the dipstick almost burning me!!

I refilled the oil and cleaned the engine and took it for an oil change (about 3000 miles after the first oil change). The technician noticed that there was pressure in the oil pan and that there was exhaust smoke coming out from the dipstick. He said that he had never seen that before.

10 days after the oil change (now) the yellow light came back on so I had to add 1 gallon of oil and there is exhaust smoke puffing out from the engine bay on the passenger side. The smell is still coming out of the AC vents.

I will take it to the dealership for an inspection ($119) but I would love to hear some suggestions of it could be so that I can research it before going.

So please help!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
first thing first.
when does the yellow oil light come one? after starting the engine, it comes on and goes away?
pressure building up in the crank case is most likely clogged oil separator. the shop you took your car to probably had no experience about BMW's.
smoke coming from passenger side is leaking oil, run your finger alone the VCG see if its still leaking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The light comes on after I drive it for about 5 to 6 miles and stays on until I stop the engine. Have you ever heard of oil bursting out of the dipstick?

Thank you for the quick response!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
The light comes on after I drive it for about 5 to 6 miles and stays on until I stop the engine. Have you ever heard of oil bursting out of the dipstick?

Thank you for the quick response!
no I havent but it could be clogged up oil separator system not releasing pressure from the crank case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about the exhaust smoke puffing out of the engine bay on the passenger side? any idea if it could be related to a clogged oil separator?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
How about the exhaust smoke puffing out of the engine bay on the passenger side? any idea if it could be related to a clogged oil separator?
maybe oil is being pressed out of the VCG which then drips onto the exhaust manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts