BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 coupe w/ SMG. The manual states that the car should be driven off immediately when cold and it should not be warmed up by idling. (I don't know the reason for this). However, if I do so, the car bucks wildly in first gear until it warms up (I have to go up a slight grade on my way to work). It likes second gear better when cold but even if it is in the auto mode with the first shift bar selected, it will not start off in second gear (like it is supposed to) until the car is at least slightly warm.

Is there a problem with the car's computer or has anyone experienced this? HELP!

·
Registered
9 Posts
You just need to get used to it. I was scared to drive it at first, now I got the gas down so smooth it never bucks. Remember a computer is looking at you gas to decide what to do. Cold starts are the most critical time to accelerate at a constant rate.
Dave O.

·
Registered
701 Posts
the only reason is because of the way the smg hydralic pump keeps the tranny held.. and the clutch in and out.. the car may say its in nuetral sometimes.. but its actually in gear and just having the clutch held in.. also they say this.. because in colder temps.. the engine is producing more emissions when first on.. so if you leave the car at idle for more than 1 min.. u start to have bad build up in the cats of the car...thats why they want u to drive it right off.. so u dont keep too much build up in the car..

·
Crazy Boy
1,368 Posts
tableaux said:
2004 coupe w/ SMG. The manual states that the car should be driven off immediately when cold and it should not be warmed up by idling. (I don't know the reason for this). However, if I do so, the car bucks wildly in first gear until it warms up (I have to go up a slight grade on my way to work). It likes second gear better when cold but even if it is in the auto mode with the first shift bar selected, it will not start off in second gear (like it is supposed to) until the car is at least slightly warm.

Is there a problem with the car's computer or has anyone experienced this? HELP!
u just need to get used to it... i have the same problem sometimes when im trying to drive my my rear ramp to get in my garage, but after a while u get good at it.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
that is normal anyway on my 03smgm3

when it is cold outside you can go right away but don't rev over the yellow lights and just wait untill the engine warms up then you can go up the rpm range.
and try to not put on the sport button in a mode.
that will help the bucking in the smg mode

get the shark injecter after 1.250 miles when you brake in the engine. it is like a 2 sport button so if you don't put it on car will
feel like it is on car with the shark injecter. and then when you do put the sport button on it feels like a 2 sport button.
bobm3 ;) ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts