BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to trade in my 2001 325 (for 2004 325) and I am wondering if I should go with SMG vs. step.

I have tested SMG and it was OK. But what so you guys think about SMG. MAnual is out the game since most of driving is in town.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
i say this if you are going

to drive in traffic i would get the smg. that way you can switch over when you want it easy in bumber to bumber traffic and then
when you want to play on the curves then go to s mode. with smg
you have the best of the 2 worlds.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Upset with BMW and my dealership..

When I ordered my 2004 330 Ci, the SMG option was not available. Now, 4 months later, they offer it. :banghead:

My salesperson, never even mentioned that it was going to be available a few months down the road. Can't tell me, they didn't know about this. They just wanted to make a quick sale.

When I order my M3, guess I'll have to find a new dealer. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Get SMG. At least you will have all the power a manual 325 has and have the option of auto. Even though the Auto in SMG is not that smooth.

When I had a step I was always in manual mode, so I would without a doubt get an SMG. Plus it's also nice to be able to let go of the brake and not worry about the car creeping.

If manual is most definitely out, then go SMG. Although traffic does not really bother me that much with my stick. Shifting and clutching keeps me awake.
Good luck :thumbup:

·
Knight Rider
98 Posts
SMG, easy. Why would anyone want step when SMG is availble (not being sarcastic)? SMG is a great technology. The only reason I can see is price, I guess.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
The performance advantage of manual (or SMG) over the power sapping step is huge on the 325. So, go for SMG (being that this is an enthusiast site, and almost everybody will tell you to get what gives the most performance).

·
Banned
2,055 Posts
I drive downtown in traffic and a manual doesn't bother me. I don't even realize what I'm doing, I just drive when I'm sitting in traffic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts