BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking into an m3 proly like 02-04 what are the pros and cons between the smg and manual, which one do you prefer, we know practicality the SMG is going to take it, but I am hearing that SMG performs better.

I want to know what you guys think, thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
SMG shifts faster.

Both are the "manual" transmission - just SMG has a lot of pneumatic assistance (I think it has like 13 pumps that help it do what it does...).

I have never driver SMG but I hear it's amazingly fast when shifting.

BUT....SMG has more expensive parts to fail when the time comes.

Personally I like the manual in all of my cars -never had an automatic (not saying SMG is an automatic, so no one flame me on that!).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay the thread you directed me too answered 0 of my questions. the second post thanks.

I want someone who has driven both enough to give me a good comparison as well.

·
Registered
746 Posts
okay the thread you directed me too answered 0 of my questions. the second post thanks.

So you were able to click his link... but not follow his instructions to search?

I dont mean to be a jerk either but you should try searching. I am sure you will find numerous threads with the exact same title as your post. There is TONS of information, just do some reading.

·
Registered
588 Posts
this is asked atleast weekly dude it takes longer to wait for a response than just to search besides your not going to go on 1 persons word so your going to have to wait atleast 24 hrs for people to answer and since they have done this atleast 52 times in the past year they tend not to reply anymore

·
Registered
129 Posts

i was trying to make a point to search, should be tons of information out there

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just went through this myself. Test drive both and see what you like. I found the SMG to be a very good system and it behaved well under conditions that I expected it wouldn't. Still I couldn't get over a disconnected feeling I had when driving the SMG (this is just a personal preference) and opted for the 6 spd manual. Other than that I have read about costly repairs to SMG boxes around, being stuck on the side of the road with no drive / pump failure wasn't high on my list.

Suggest reading this - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10057 ( sorry if I've broken some cross forum posting rule here, but its the best post on the SMG and I'd rather not reproduce it here as its so loooong )

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think i have the answer youre looking for. Ive had my m3 for a month now its SMG. SMG is great, shifts fast, its smooth once u learn how much to let go of the gas when you shift. You can throttle blurp it. however, if you are a driver that likes to feel 100% connected with the car and the road aka race driver. I would go with the manual, because even though SMG is great and maybe even faster shifts than a manual, when i drive very spiritedly i wish i had the clutch pedal so i can actually be doing the work and feel like I am really a race car driver. SMG is made for us who are quite lazy, because for DAILY DRIVING in traffic the stick would be piss me off. But with SMG it doesnt piss me off so much. So it really depends on what kind of driving youre going to be doing. If youre going to be doing mostly spirited driving id go for thee manual, if you're a driver thats more cautious and is not crazy like some of us are ( following the rules etc) then id go with SMG. I love my SMG but if my M was not my daily driver id go with a stick. In my opinion you would really feel like m3 is a race car, especially if you got some headers + exhaust. Great feeling. Just my .02 cents. hope it helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
search "smg problems" you'll get your answer :craig:
The rate of "problems" is not high enough to sway your decision. I have driven both, but I own an SMG. I love it, and if bought another M3 I would want it again. I don't feel disconnected at all, its a blast to drive. For the record I've owned BMWs since I was 15 and I have had a 5 speed in every car before my M. I'm 27 now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Get the 6 Speed. The SMG is just a fast shifting wanna-be manual :eeps:
:evil: Flame suit on
:evil:
smg is a true manual with a real clutch. the only difference is that smg is 'smarter' than a manual and it engages the clutch for you. smg also has an 'auto' mode in which the computer shifts for you, but that does not make it an automatic transmission. smg is unique, because you can set it to be auto if your lazy, but also manual and it doesn't have the hassle of holding the clutch/neutral/constantly shifting in traffic. smg also will shift for you if you risk damaging your engine.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i love my SMG.. i will admit its a lot more stressful then the MT due the the price tag to fix but..rolling down the freeway and dumping from 6 to 3 with a flick of the finger.. is amazing...love it...i drive in S3 but my manual setting is set @ S5 so with a flick of the finger going from a sunday drive to 140mph is priceless....on top of a perfect shift everytime, makes the back roads a blast with a lot more control, being able to keep both hands on the wheel @ high speeds if need be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Found this in a 10 second search. This might be helpful in your decision making.

If you are ordering a car and are not sure if you should get the SMG transmission, the following information may be helpful in your decision:

A short test drive of any SMG car is not an accurate measure of how the car will feel over time. SMG's are entirely new and need to be driven in a way that is entirely different than what you are probably accustomed to. Most SMG owners learn over an extended time (30 days or longer) how to shift the car properly. It has a steep learning curve. Your brain needs time to "reprogram" the timing of everything, etc.

Because the SMG has an "automatic mode," many people compare this choice to the Steptronic transmission. This comparison is not an equitable one. It is more equitable to compare the SMG to a traditional manual that has a clutch pedal. If you are traditionally a buyer of automatics because you do not like to shift, you may be disappointed with the SMG. If you are traditionally a buyer of manuals, you may find that the SMG far exceeds your expectations but only after owning it past the individual learning curve.

In addition to upshifting, SMG's need to be downshifted by the driver (as opposed to allowing the SMG to downshift automatically because of impending strain on the drivetrain) to reach optimum performance and satisfaction. Just like driving a manual transmission, you need to keep the car in the proper gear relative to the vehicle's speed. The SMG will execute downshifts flawlessly by "blipping" the throttle to the required RPM before engaging the lower gear. In other words, it executes a perfect "heel and toe" downshift every time. This process prevents the car from becoming unbalanced and reduces the possibility of a loss-of-control situation. It's the downshifts that truly differentiate the SMG from both the traditional manual and the automatic transmission choices!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had this choice when i bought my m3, and the smg just can't launch for ****. Faster shifts through the gears, but from a stop manual will paste an smg everytime.( considering both cars are equal performance)

1 - 20 of 236 Posts