BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I own BMW E46 325i and I love it! Since I got into the E46 world I was thinking of buying an SMG Trans M3. I love driving a manual car but they are pretty pricy in the USA. Be free to share your thoughts, experiences of SMG Trans, and let me know if you would u recommend buying one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Buy an smg and convert it to manual. About $1000 in parts, if you're mechanically inclined then no labor cost. Smgs are great if it's only a track car but imo a manual is smoother and more enjoyable as a daily, plus a lot more reliable

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Buy an smg and convert it to manual. About $1000 in parts, if you're mechanically inclined then no labor cost. Smgs are great if it's only a track car but imo a manual is smoother and more enjoyable as a daily, plus a lot more reliable

Thanks you for your respond. Where can I buy the manual trans ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's the same transmission, you just need the front case off a manual. There's a lot of information on Google about the swap, you should be able to find a parts list.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Mostly agree with this, I used to track my M3 on a regular basis and the SMG was a ton of fun. Loved every gear change, every rev match, it definitely gives the car a bit more of a personality to get used to. Around town driving isn't that bad but can be cumbersome, all in all, I don't regret having an SMG at all but there are some days I wish I had a manual.

·
Registered
111 Posts
SMG here... drove both before I decided upon it... when I drive this car I like the paddles and rev matches without the other foot... sure, they’re more fiddly to maintain but this isn’t a daily driver for me... as a daily I can see the manual working better for some ... maybe on reliability grounds but for no other reason... and never for me... I just maintain the SMG and drive the car the way the factory intended.

maw

·
Registered
19 Posts
SMG here... drove both before I decided upon it... when I drive this car I like the paddles and rev matches without the other foot... sure, they’re more fiddly to maintain but this isn’t a daily driver for me... as a daily I can see the manual working better for some ... maybe on reliability grounds but for no other reason... and never for me... I just maintain the SMG and drive the car the way the factory intended.

maw
Like he said. Im on my 2nd SMG M3. First car i had back 05-07 (03M3 Coupe) and i daily drove it 23K per year for the 2.5 years i owned it with zero issues and proper maintenance. Becuase of that I was open to my second M3 (03 M3 Vert) i just got a couple weeks ago, but only because there were good maintenance records on the car and the SMG in the car. Once you get used to it, its a breeze to drive, just dont bother with Auto mode. And maintain it as much as possible in hopes of no catastrophic failures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They are fine cars with the SMG. Currently converting mine to manual.... not for any other reason other than I like a manual more. The SMG is a great system and does take a little getting used to at first. They are still engaging and fun to drive. As others have said, get one with maintenance records. You can find parts fairly easily now and get the pump rebuilt for a relatively low cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts