BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can do a Manual swap from a steptronic transmission, but can you swap a step out for an SMG II tranny?? Specifically on a 04 330Ci with sport pack. Just curious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,800 Posts
i believe it is possible as there was a SMG tranny offered for the non M 3 series but finding on as well as installing it can be kinda pricey i bet.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think a lot of it would depend on how exactly the SMG module communicates with the other modules in the car and how much SMG-specific cooperation it needs from them. From a software standpoint it seems like something that could work, if the SMG components request information from the DME, et cetera via the same interface as what exists in the DME for the regular M54 engine. Additionally, since the SMG stuff physically operates a manual gearbox, I think there would need to be some level of compatibility between a gearbox for the S54 and the gearbox for the M54 you have.

Bottom line is that anything is possible if you have enough time and money, but it's probably prohibitively expensive and totally not worth even thinking about doing. You would be better off swapping the whole power/drivedrain/rear end and all of the electronic components from a donor car if you want to go messing with stuff like this.

·
Registered
14,800 Posts
ditto ^ and i've seen a SMG tranny on a ZHP in cali didnt get a change to meet the owner was at a olive garden in la puente lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts