BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone just trying to get some ideas of why the car wouldn't start.

I want to start by saying the clutch switch is wired up and I am 99 percent sure it is correct. However, I have not done any of the reprogramming as of yet because my software is unable to access my ms45.1.
In the past, my car had a very similar issue, didn't crank or start, so I thought has to be the starter right? The next day a noticed a fuse in the engine bay compartment was slightly lifted up, pushed it in and it started, after some more digging It appeared to be SMG/SSG specific (20amp in my case, 30amp for an m3 SMG) To which I believe was for the gear position sensor. Knowing this, would the programming just eliminate my problem, or should I do some sort of ews delete as well.

Also, I do not have the sensor on the side of my gs37bz wired up, but I believe that is just for the reverse light (correct me if I'm wrong but it is not necessary correct?)

As far as the software side of things, the process I need to delete is process 206, so that the dme does not look for the SMG/SSG TCM, and then to reset adaptations for that module (I think that is all I need to do)

I live in Florida, so if there is anyone who codes on ms45.1 let me know, and any information would be helpful.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,889 Posts
First thing is to solve why you cannot access your MS45.1 DME. You need BMW Standard Tools installed on a Windows 7 or 10 laptop. See this thread for the steps.

As for coding your car, in addition to modifying the FA in the IKE and ALSZ to remove the SSG option, you also need to code ALL modules in the car from the IKE so they pick up the changed FA.

If you like, we can do a remote session to set up the software, troubleshoot connecting to DME (and other modules), and complete the coding. Start a private conversation with me to exchange contact info and get this going.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing is to solve why you cannot access your MS45.1 DME. You need BMW Standard Tools installed on a Windows 7 or 10 laptop. See this thread for the steps.

As for coding your car, in addition to modifying the FA in the IKE and ALSZ to remove the SSG option, you also need to code ALL modules in the car from the IKE so they pick up the changed FA.

If you like, we can do a remote session to set up the software, troubleshoot connecting to DME (and other modules), and complete the coding. Start a private conversation with me to exchange contact info and get this going.
I believe my issue was that I am running too old of a version to access my dme, it was able to access the tcm on my windows xp vm, but I’ll follow your tutorial on setting up the software. However I am currently 300 miles away from my car and i have to fix it remotely lol, so I need to have my brother setup a laptop and do it.
I will say I was under the impression that ms45.1 wasn’t accessible with bmw standard tools. My NCS expert wouldn’t read anything from my dme, but maybe that was because my software was outdated?

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
713 Posts
So it could be the car thinks it's in gear so it won't start up.

The switch on the trans is just for reverse lights.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,889 Posts
I will say I was under the impression that ms45.1 wasn’t accessible with bmw standard tools. My NCS expert wouldn’t read anything from my dme, but maybe that was because my software was outdated?
INPA can access MS45.1 DME so long as it is not an old INPA version and has all the correct scripts and data files set up. The NCS Expert problem was likely due to incorrect software configuration. Uninstall and delete whatever you have on there, and follow my guide. I use it on my MS45.1 E46 all the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
INPA can access MS45.1 DME so long as it is not an old INPA version and does have all the correct scripts and data files set up. The NCS Expert problem was likely due to incorrect software configuration. Uninstall and delete whatever you have on there, and follow my guide. I use it on my MS45.1 E46 all the time.
Awesome, thank you sir

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So I do not see the IKE module option for e46 on NCSexpert, I see it under the e39 chassis but all i have is KMB EWS ALSZ and AKMB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KMB, AKMB, IKE all mean instrument cluster. Look up acronyms here.
Alright, so I decided to try it out tonight over team viewer with my brother and deleted process 206 in the FA for both the EWS and KMB, then coded the ews and kmb modules afterward, and still no start. Not sure where to go from here, as long as the coding portion was correct, It could be my wiring for the clutch/starter interlock switch but otherwise I am not to sure.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,889 Posts
Did you reset the DME adaptations? That is required after changing FA so DME picks up transmission option change.

Use INPA to look at the live data on EWS and DME to see if states of signals (shifter, brake, clutch, etc.) when cranking are correct or not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you reset the DME adaptations? That is required after changing FA so DME picks up transmission option change.

Use INPA to look at the live data on EWS and DME to see if states of signals (shifter, brake, clutch, etc.) when cranking are correct or not.
Im pretty certain i did
I also got a code in memory for 10134 which has something to do with throttle adaptation value failure

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a better look at the code:

I sadly ran out of time for the night to work on this, but hopefully I didn't mess anything up.

As a recap I used NCSExpert to delete process 206 from the FA on ALSZ, EWS, and IKE modules, then used FA_Write on those modules, and processed the car. I also clear adaptation values on INPA. Come to think of it I dont think I reset DME Adaptations, maybe that is the issue. How would I go about doing that?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also to add, the gear icon for the transmission error still appears on the car, which is why I believe I did not do something correctly and probably why it won't start still. I know for a regular automatic it will run with the gear icon still there, but with all the parameters of the SSG transmission, I would not be surprised if that were the reason it still won't crank and start.

Going on 5 months (4 months of not being able to work on it) without a car now, and I wish it was up here with me now because all that is left is the coding, but it's 300 miles south of me. So I have to remotely connect, limiting the amount of time I have to my brother's schedule lining up with my own and as a full-time engineering student, who has to work 30 hours a week to get by, it is pretty hard. I don't mean to rant, I am just tired...

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
713 Posts
Do you have any of the SSG computers still plugged in?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update, I realized I did not recode each module afterward, so I went back to do so, after recoding each module, I reset all adaptations on INPA, still not sure if that is what I am supposed to do. After reprogramming each module the car now beeps again with the key in the ignition and now I no longer have the warning cog for the transmission light, however, it still does not crank or start. I want to check that the live data for the EWS and DME are correct but I am unsure how to do so on INPA, could someone lead me in the right direction. I want to ensure my wiring is correct (I am worried i wired the ews to pin 7 instead of pin 8 by accident ( I was in a rush and to be fair its hard to really get up in there by the ews module.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am just glad I made some sort of progress, no warning lights now.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
713 Posts
Yeah it's pin 8

Alternatively, you could test if the switch is t wired up by jumping it. Or temporarily disabling it in NCSExpert

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe it is wired up properly, but how would I temporarily disable it in ncsExpert (would that bypass it allowing me to attempt to start?)

If so I guess that would tell me if it is the problem or not

1 - 20 of 42 Posts