E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my SMG gear positioning sensor was replaced and the shop also performed a hard SMG reset:

When I rolled out from the shop, SMG was slipping/slurring each gear change. It got better after a week but my SMG is still slurring when upshifting. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Did they use a GT1 tool or inpa to bleed your smg system fully. how did they "reset" your smg system.
I did it myself using INPA.

I did bleed the clutch beforehand, but I don't think it is necessary unless you actually opened it up..

Doing the option under the advanced menu for the SMG reset should only take 3-5 minutes IIRC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They reset as soon as I came in (warm). Got the car the day prior after the gear position sensor was replaced. The next day my car started skipping gears from 1-3, 2-4. So they decided to reset it. My car still slurs a lil bit. Now the shop is telling me my car may need a new clutch. My car always shifted sharp as a knife even with the bad position sensor. But after the SMG reset my car started slurring /slipping every time I upshift. It's gotten better from the first day of reset but I only drive my car twice - three times a week.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Clear the adaptations, run a SMG relearn / clutch teach-in. That should teach the transmission where each of the gears are as well as rest the clutch engagement points.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Other symptoms of gear skipping if I remember correctly the smg spring(s) could have snapped..but there are a lot of other ones as well like salmon relay, clutch, etc.

I would be weary of this shop if they just want to throw your money at a clutch hoping it solves the problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
im about to do my own gear position sensor replace, i wasn't aware of any smg reprogram that would need doing. its just a sensor. if i was replacing the clutch i would think it would re-learning

but replace the gear position sensor, i didnt think so.

anybody actually done the replace themselves ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Brotha! Perfect I got a battery charger to perform this job. My tech is pretty stubborn when I mentioned that they would need to reset it for the second time and do it properly, I was told they will perform another reset clutch/teach one more time but my tech guy is pretty stubborn that he did everything correctly and supposedly this shop works on Bimmers exclusively, l'd rather not argue and learn how to perform this myself.

Thanks again!

It is easy but it takes a while and battery has to be charged.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts