E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an informal poll. How many SMG owners have had pump failures so far? What mileage?

Do you think it s a good idea to look NOW for a good deal on a used pump to keep in your personal inventory? I have 30k miles but plan on keeping my car a long time. Besides, my SMG will soon be taxed by a heavy Stage 3 clutch/pressure plate and a 800+rwhp motor.

What is the maximum miles to consider for a used pump? I see pumps with 110k miles on them that guys want 750 dollars for. I dont think so.

I plan on adding a hose to divert more direct cold air on to the pump.Cooler running pump=cant hurt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just had my original pump replaced at 240k miles. I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new one. Manix, i think with all the money you're spending on your car, it doesn't make sense to go out and skimp on an essential piece. I know its like $2000 but sometimes its better to just bite the bullet.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just had my original pump replaced at 240k miles. I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new one. Manix, i think with all the money you're spending on your car, it doesn't make sense to go out and skimp on an essential piece. I know its like $2000 but sometimes its better to just bite the bullet.
at 240k? jesus :yikes: how was the shifting at that high milage on factory pump?

·
Registered
103 Posts
at 240k? jesus :yikes: how was the shifting at that high milage on factory pump?
I bought the car at 240k and the pump basically died in which the car could not drive at all. According to the original owner, this was the original pump. So I went back and replaced the pump and the car drives perfect. No issues at all. Got a tune from AA last week and absolutely love it. But i have to say thank you to scrappy for doing such an extensive job in such a short manner.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine failed around 70,000 km, about 44,000 miles..

It's one of the parts I'd only replace with a brand new part.

You have to take the car to a dealer to get the system primed(?) anyway, so there's towing costs and dealer hours costs involved as well, on a part that's been sitting on a shelf after use.. who knows what has entered the pump at point, and what any moisture has done to it's internals... Who wants to put a part in their car only to have to do it all again because the one you got was bad..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.