BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone
I only got my used BMW this week, a 2004 325 fitted with M3 upgrade. I also have the SMG....the car only has 45000km. I only got the car on Monday and today is Sunday and the SMG has totally broken down....My syptoms

2 days ago drove the car and the warning light came on so I pulled over, stopped the car, waited about a minute, started the car again and everything was back to normal....rang the dealer and reported what happened and he told me that somethings the computer has a brain fart and this can happen, don't worry

Next day, drove the car shopping, 5kms away, got home, parked the car, went inside for about 2 minutes came back out heard a strange noise similiar to air coming out of a hydraulic cyclinder then a puff of smoke came from under the front end of the car and smelt like burning, only a puff. I then got in the car and started and the SMG warning light was back on, so I took the car around the block, would only go up to 2nd gear, got back home parked it up, turned it off waited 5 minutes then tried again, another warning light came on in the centre dash and the car engine will not even turn on anymore.

I am really panicking, can anybody out there who may have experieced this type of thing before offer there opinion, the car is under warranty still, but I don't want to be ripped off by the car dealer, I would like to know what is going on. Being a female they may try and patch it up instead of fixing the problem as I have not a clue what the problem is.

I would also like to add when I unlock the car there is not a sound anymore.....so from reading other posts I'm thinking maybe the pump may be gone but I'm only guessing, it sounds like such a big problem for a car that has done under 50K's

Any thoughts please :bawling::bawling:

·
Registered
9 Posts
M tech.. u need to take that to certified shop to look at it.. Smg farts are supposed to go the dealership.. Nxt time get 6 spd. maybe it needs trans fluid. Look for leaks..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
M tech.. u need to take that to certified shop to look at it.. Smg farts are supposed to go the dealership.. Nxt time get 6 spd. maybe it needs trans fluid. Look for leaks..
It is going to the BMW dealership first thing Monday morning as this has happened over the weekend.....Not too sure what you mean by 6 speed my SMG is a 6 speed????? No leaks...I also did notice that it is stuck in 1st gear that's probably why it won't let me turn it on

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it's still under warranty then you have nothing to worry about. If the dealer fixes the problem and the same problem(s) come back, then they are obligated to fix it at no charge, no deductible. Verify this before they perform the repair and get it in writing.

SMG, turn key to position 2, do not turn far enough to start the car. Before starting the car, press firmly on the break pedal, push the SMG gear shift right then left, repeat if necessary until the transmission indicates N (neutral).

The SMG is a 6 speed manual transmission but you don't need to physically push the clutch in to switch gears. SMG is an electro/hydraulic clutch controlled by a computer. You get a perfect shift every time, WHEN IT WORKS. Traditional "6 spd" has a mechanical clutch you press down with your foot. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
If it's still under warranty then you have nothing to worry about. If the dealer fixes the problem and the same problem(s) come back, then they are obligated to fix it at no charge, no deductible. Verify this before they perform the repair and get it in writing.

SMG, turn key to position 2, do not turn far enough to start the car. Before starting the car, press firmly on the break pedal, push the SMG gear shift right then left, repeat if necessary until the transmission indicates N (neutral).

The SMG is a 6 speed manual transmission but you don't need to physically push the clutch in to switch gears. SMG is an electro/hydraulic clutch controlled by a computer. You get a perfect shift every time, WHEN IT WORKS. Traditional "6 spd" has a mechanical clutch you press down with your foot. GOOD LUCK
+1 good luck and welcome to the forums.

please post some pics when you get a chance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts