Votes: 90 48.6%
  • 6 SPEED MANUAL

Votes: 95 51.4%
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna buy a M3 soon... What should I get? I want to be able to control the cars (clutch) help me do that. what's the disadvantge/advantage of SMG? Any advice? SMG drivers...

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you want to be able to control the M3s clutch, then you better get the 6spd manual.

With the SMGII you only control when to shift and how soft or firm you want the clutch to engage/disengage with the drivelogic settings.

·
Network Analyst
3,487 Posts
If I were dishing out for an M3 I might go with the SMG tranny simply because I like cool tech stuff. But with the money I'd save on getting regular six speed I'd be better able to get other options so....I dunno.

You plan on doing lots of city driving or track driving? Take that into account as well.

dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it really depends on your usage. I do some driving in NYC so I was sure I didn't want a clutch, so the SMG was a perfect fit.

I love my SMG by the way, at first I was worried I might regret it but now I am happy as a clam. Would'nt have it any other way.

Retail value is nice too.

C

·
Registered
2 Posts
smg or stick

I have owned both and traded the stick in after i drove a smg . if you live in an area of heavy traffic , have a wife who may want to drive the car , like to be able to drive with out ever using one leg , no clutch pedal , ability to shift gears at will and drive like a f-one racer this car is for you . I like it because so much of the time in georgia (atlanta and sandy springs to be exact) i find the traffic so bad that its a bonus to be able to hand the duties of the clutch to the car and not worry about driving and just enjoy the car . Then other times when you want take off like a rocket , you can triple or more your clutch speed because you never take you foot of the gas and blip the toggle and Bam your gone . Click , click , click and youve gone through 3 gears in flash with out any leg clutch travel. Better yet is down shifting with a sound that only a true race car driver could make the car do , when it double clutch's to get the speed and rmp in sync. The M3 with the smg is really one of the best buys for what you get when you compare the mech of the system head to head with the ferrai system that is 100 K more. I love the car so far and am still learning how to drive this remarkable piece of technology better every day as it will take time to break you of your old habits. This is not a automatic car , nor is it just as simple as you deciding when to shift , it acts just like the stick and is the same in every way except for the clutch pedal being moved to the wheel and or "stick" . Just my 2cents but i owned 8 sports cars before this smg and all where sticks , so go figure ? go test drive both , then make up your mind . Good luck :D

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
u would be very silly to listen to a bunch of people on an internet forum, instead of finding an example of each and taking them for a test drive.

even if u cant find an SMG M3, SMG comes on a couple other BMW models now. u really should drive both types of transmissions for as long as u can, before making a choice that ur gonna have to live with.

that being said, i would want the SMG for the track, and 6 speed for the street... its just more fun :D (SMG on the track because that is were precision counts, in order to put down the fastest times :thumbup: )

·
Registered
76 Posts
i vote smg. i love my smg i never get tired of really driving the car at all. at first i thought that i might regret it but definatley no regrets at all. it's really up to you though, if your really into popping the clutch and doing burnouts go with the six speed because with smg you can't do that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I voted for 6spd because I think that would best suit MAC.

I have the SMG and drag race it alot. It has done over 250 launch controls and got few 1st and 2nd place finishes in bracket racing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I chose SMG for many reasons. Well the obvious reason is because I own an M3 with SMG and am perfectly happy with it :thumbup:

For all you un-aware people, SMG has its strong points. There are many, so here is a webpage to sum everything up. http://www.m3smg.com/ Note: Giving this webpage isn't an insult to anyone at all ;)

I learned many things about the M3 SMG on that site. I'll tell you from personal experience; the SMG is a nice way to laze of. If there is lots of traffic, you can just shift with the paddles or with a push (the lever is seriously light) of a stick downward you'll be on the desired gear. Downshift double clutching is also available on the SMG. Automatic blip of the throttle is also available. One of the many strong points of the SMG.

I can see the view of others who like 6 speed. You can power shift at the track, do better times etc. But if you're one of the thousands of drivers who just don't want to use a lot of energy for shifting, and want a good response without working hard: SMG is for you. :)

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you honestly hafta drive SMG first before you makea judgement call on it. Its great, but its not for everyone. The benefits are awesome though, no more mishifts, cheaper to maintain, not such a pain in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
pointless argument, they are both 6 speed!

·
name's PHIL
6,087 Posts
SMGGGGGGGG.......CAUSE

1/ its faster

2/ The SMG shift knob looks schweeeeeeeeeeeet:D :thumbup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Drive both, and see what you like.... But IMO, if you are getting a sports car, you have to get it in Manual. SMG IMO is weak, and according to several magazines is slower than Six-Speed, of course these are professional drivers, but still an interesting fact. The stick is a must, suck it up through heavy traffic, then when you get the open road... :yikes:

1 - 20 of 117 Posts