E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!

SMG or Not?

• SMG

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • Not!

Votes: 45 51.1%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Owner
3,747 Posts
I don't doubt SMG is a great tranny. I've only heard good things about it. But it just doesn't compare to the fun factor of a true stick shift, IMO. Plus, you gotta pay $2400 more for it.

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
Cabby said:
I love the people who comment on it, but have never driven it.

:banghead:
I've driven both. SMG is excellent in concept. But I still prefer the 6-speed, although it does need a shorter shifer from the factory.

·
Owner
3,747 Posts
Cabby said:

So I guess the only people who are allowed to give an opinion about SMG are those who've driven one before?

Lemme ask you this. If someone posts a poll saying "What tires should I get?" Does that mean anyone who answers that poll must have tried every brand of tire listed on the poll personally, otherwise he is not allowed to give an opinion?

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,360 Posts
I've never driven SMG, but I still know that I would prefer to have a clutch in the car and be able to manual move a shifter from gear to gear.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
Fun "tech" factor and tempting because of the performance but after driving one I would pass. I felt like the computer was hunting for the gear that I wanted.

I am sure after driving it for a while I could learn how it worked and how to drive it better (there are numerous write-up that confirm SMG does take some skill to drive well). If it were cheaper I might consider it but paying more for less control strikes me as wrong.

Tim

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cabby said:

No, I have not driven an SMG, but I have driven a steptronic, and because of that, I can offer my view. Besides the fact that the SMG has faster shifts and reduced drivetrain loss, there is really no difference in the driving experience between step and SMG. The operation is exactly the same...either you let the car shift for you or you click a little lever to change the gear yourself. I'll take the stick shift any day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Driven a SMG - currently drive 5 spd with short shift kit and I'd take that anyday. I feel I'm more in control with the clutch. BUT it's all a matter of taste;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Never driven SMG, but I have a Step 330Ci...and I'll tell you, I regret it everyday (My dad didn't want me to have a stick for my first car). I drove my bro's 328Ci 5spd. before the lease was up, oh man I loved it. I can't stand the step.. I wish I had a third pedal and most of the M3 posts that I've read about SMG vs. 6spd., a lot of people like the SMG, but a majority of them like the 6 spd. better. Also, you have to take your situation into consideratioin. Are you going to be doing a lot of freeway driving? Or a lot of bumper to bumper traffic? You have to think about what will be better for you also...but if that doesn't have an affect on your decision, I think you should get stick.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Choson1 said:

So I guess the only people who are allowed to give an opinion about SMG are those who've driven one before?
Correct.

Lemme ask you this. If someone posts a poll saying "What tires should I get?" Does that mean anyone who answers that poll must have tried every brand of tire listed on the poll personally, otherwise he is not allowed to give an opinion?
Correct again.

You can give your opinion all day long, but if you have no experience with what you are talking about, then you might as well be blowing smoke up everyone's a$$, cause you don't really know what you are talking about.

That's true in general, not a personal attack

:thumbup:

If I ask you if you like something, you can't say you do or dont unless you have tried it, that's a fact.

·
Owner
3,747 Posts
Cabby said:

Correct.

Correct again.

You can give your opinion all day long, but if you have no experience with what you are talking about, then you might as well be blowing smoke up everyone's a$$, cause you don't really know what you are talking about.

That's true in general, not a personal attack

:thumbup:

If I ask you if you like something, you can't say you do or dont unless you have tried it, that's a fact.
I know enough about SMG to know that it's something I don't want. I don't have to drive it to know that either. Just like roof spoilers. I don't need to have owned one or tried one to decide that it's not for me.

Everyone is entitled to share their opinion, even if they haven't experienced it first hand. If someone asked me if I like eating hamburgers or elephant testicles, I'd say hamburgers even though I've never eaten elephant testicles. I don't necessarily have to have tried elephance balls to know that I don't want it. 90% of people who buy SMG have never driven SMG before they bought it. So are you saying these guys have no idea what they are doing?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I agree with all that you are saying Choson1. People ask for opinions and they are given and then people come along and bash on your opinion. Happens all the time on this board now. Everyone shiits a brick if they hear an opinion that they don't like. Whatever. You ask for an opinion, you get one. Doesn't have to be qualified or anything.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
i haven't driven either m3 6 or m3 smg. But i want 6

·
Registered
48 Posts
SMG is great fun, you can't mess up shifts, you get an automatic mode if your cell phone rings, and its just as fast and exciting as 6 speed. I've driven a 6 speed BMW many times and its fantastic, but I would never give up my SMG. Its unique, practical, looks awsome, and adds value to the car because M3s don't come in automatics which are very popular with older buyers. It baffles me, why people who have never even driven an SMG car would simply screem about how its not this or that, but more power to ya. The 6 speed is awsome also, so no matter which you get, you really can't lose.

·
Registered
103 Posts
SMG2 if you track A LOT (More than 6-7 time a year)..otherwise stick is fine. Plus you save $2400 for the coilover and brakes upgrade.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts