BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Have a e46 m3 that won’t start and the smg keeps priming when key is in ignition. It doesn’t even try cranking and the shifter won’t move. Currently it can be rolled so I assume it’s in neutral.

Haven’t dived too deep into it yet but inpa shows error code s0012 “no communication possible with: transmission control unit”.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,145 Posts
Can you post a screenshot?
Would also love to know values (Bar) of the SMG system pressure.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Hi there,
Have a e46 m3 that won’t start and the smg keeps priming when key is in ignition. It doesn’t even try cranking and the shifter won’t move. Currently it can be rolled so I assume it’s in neutral.

Haven’t dived too deep into it yet but inpa shows error code s0012 “no communication possible with: transmission control unit”.
It seems pump was running but oil was not pressurized to spec., hence shifter cannot move.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems pump was running but oil was not pressurized to spec., hence shifter cannot move.
Any ideas on fixes? If it’s indeed the pump I’m planning to manual swap it. I just gotta make sure the engine is good.
Anyone know if I flash it to manual with euro start it will start without the clutch?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Any ideas on fixes? If it’s indeed the pump I’m planning to manual swap it. I just gotta make sure the engine is good.
Anyone know if I flash it to manual with euro start it will start without the clutch?
  • Read pressure using INPA tool to confirm. IF no leaking seals then the running pump could be weak due to worn brushes motor.
  • Why one wants to start an engine without having a clutch? or maybe I'm totally lost here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  • Read pressure using INPA tool to confirm. IF no leaking seals then the running pump could be weak due to worn brushes motor.
  • Why one wants to start an engine without having a clutch? or maybe I'm totally lost here.
Kk I’ll try that tomorrow

I bought the car no start and wanted to make sure the engine is healthy before I spend money on the swap

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,145 Posts
Sounds as if the pump is running however insufficient pressure as a strong possibility. Get us a reading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in inpa analog values 1 and the hydraulic pressure says 52. Is this the correct one?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had this issue before. Does the brake peddle pressure feel harder than normal? There is a brake peddle sensor that needs to be activated to allow the SMG to function properly. Try pushing on the brake peddle harder than normal and see if it starts.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I am in inpa analog values 1 and the hydraulic pressure says 52. Is this the correct one?
I believe the pressure spec is [45 to 80 bar], so 52 is low but within. Next step is to check the voltage at pin2 and pin1 of EWS and if they have 12v when key turned to start position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts