BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2004 SMG car in January and drove it directly out of seller's driveway and onto a flatbed to go to a body shop. It has been used as a donor for an S54 wagon project body conversion including the bumper covers, hood, lights, fenders, and trunk floor.

I've just taken delivery of the car to use as a mechanical donor for a ZHP sedan, and I can't get the car to crank. Having sat for roughly five months the battery was dead, and I am getting 12V while plugged in to a charger/tender. When hooked up to a running car I am getting 13.4V. Since it currently has no hood I have manually depressed the hood sensors and am seeing the switches make in INPA, the brake switch is working properly as I can hear relay click and see switch make in INPA, doors are closed, the SMG shifts into all gears with no issues, and there is adequate pump pressure via diagnostics. The evap canister was removed as part of the trunk floor cutout, but I do not believe this would prevent crank (unless it does, and also yes I checked if there is fuel!). I believe this car was subject to EWS delete based on aftermarket key fob but I have started and driven it with this key.

Fuel pump comes on, SMG pump comes on, car is in neutral with brake fully depressed, but nothing on ignition besides pump noises. The car was subject to a clutch replacement shortly prior to my purchase, so I am wondering if it is adaptation related, and my version on INPA does not seem to have the SMG adaptations menu available.

I am sure I am missing something here but looking for a little guidance on where to go next. Thank you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased a 2004 SMG car in January and drove it directly out of seller's driveway and onto a flatbed to go to a body shop. It has been used as a donor for an S54 wagon project body conversion including the bumper covers, hood, lights, fenders, and trunk floor.

I've just taken delivery of the car to use as a mechanical donor for a ZHP sedan, and I can't get the car to crank. Having sat for roughly five months the battery was dead, and I am getting 12V while plugged in to a charger/tender. When hooked up to a running car I am getting 13.4V. Since it currently has no hood I have manually depressed the hood sensors and am seeing the switches make in INPA, the brake switch is working properly as I can hear relay click and see switch make in INPA, doors are closed, the SMG shifts into all gears with no issues, and there is adequate pump pressure via diagnostics. The evap canister was removed as part of the trunk floor cutout, but I do not believe this would prevent crank (unless it does, and also yes I checked if there is fuel!). I believe this car was subject to EWS delete based on aftermarket key fob but I have started and driven it with this key.

Fuel pump comes on, SMG pump comes on, car is in neutral with brake fully depressed, but nothing on ignition besides pump noises. The car was subject to a clutch replacement shortly prior to my purchase, so I am wondering if it is adaptation related, and my version on INPA does not seem to have the SMG adaptations menu available.

I am sure I am missing something here but looking for a little guidance on where to go next. Thank you!
I think it might be the starter. I had a similar issue and it was the starter - heard a click when turning the key but nothing. All the lights/pumps were on but no start. If it’s not the starter it could be the EWS. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts