BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
• DFW •
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is SMG II based on either of these or is it its own design from the ground up?

·
• DFW •
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point, but I know the SMG II is sub contracted out to another company. Im just wondering if that other company does the SMG work for the Ferrari and Aston Martin also...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Getrag makes the M3 SMGII. Not positive but my guess is that they also make the ferrary tranny, since they are the largest sports transmission manufacturer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Magnetti Marelli ?

The Ferrari / Aston Martin gearbox are made by a company called (something like) Magnetti Marelli

Does SACHS have collaboration with Getrag ?

M3NACE said:
Getrag makes the M3 SMGII. Not positive but my guess is that they also make the ferrary tranny, since they are the largest sports transmission manufacturer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I had enough money to build an e46 of my choice I think that it would be the same exact everything as yours, beautiful car. Just wanted to let you know. Brad.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have driven the F1 paddle shift Ferrari and found them to be alot simpler to use than the BMW one, in my opnion BMW could use a lesson on the F1 shift from Ferrari - flame if you whish, but drive them both first-

the F1 on the Ferrari is very easy and doesn't require and specail knowledge to engage, the car starts in nuetral with no driver intervention required and when crusing to a stop you can leave it in gear if you whish or pull both paddles at the same time to put it in to 'N'. the computer will automaticly up/down shift if you dont, unless you push the button marked 'police attention grabber":lmao: they use (3) modes one similar to an auto, the other a little more sporty and the third will get you arrested for driving outside the lines:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
SMG-II as in the M3 Drivelogic unit is/was developed by Seimens for BMW using the standard M3 Getrag Gearbox.

SSG (the version used on the 325, and 330 like on my car) is a off the shelf system made by Magnetti Marelli, This off-the-shelf system is used by Ferrari in the 360, Aston Martin on their new car and it has been used in the past by Alfa on their cars, and a few other car makers. The control system has fixed software which is updated by Magnetti now and again, and then their is OEM customised part in the software which allows the car maker to match the gearbox software to the ECU systems used in the car.

It has 3-modes of operation,
1st. Automatic mode where the gearbox does all the changes, 2nd. Manual mode where the paddles or shifter is used to change gears.
3rd. Sport mode is an extension of the manual mode except comfort is thrown out of the window and you get quick changes with the clutch being dumped agressively.

regards,
Tarkan

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
M3s Sequential gearbox is a bit more advanced then Ferrari or Aston Martins, and a better system overall. Also by far the cheapest system, Ferrari charges some 10k for a system for closely related to the SSG system in 325 and 330s :thumbdwn:

·
P.I.M.P.
2,471 Posts
I read a review for the mr2 gearbox in car magazine....they said the shifts were slow and jerky....the speed of engagement was close to an auto tranny....i guess toyota needs to get its act together.

·
call me kev :D
6,302 Posts
i dunno.. last time i read, the same company that made ferrari's 360 modena f1 tranny made the m3 smg, but shifts twice as fast...

out of m3, aston martin, or ferrari, m3 has the best one :D

too bad the engine goes KABOOM.. or else, it's one heck of a car :eeps: :eeps: :D

·
• DFW •
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok Im looking at a hardcopy whitepaper on SMG II which they call Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) Second Generation. Looks like it was a collaboration from BMW M, Sachs, Getrag and Seimens.

The reason I generated this topic, is cause the new mustang is said to come with an AMT in one of their exclusive models. So if its a derivation of the Aston Martin, it will most likely be an SSG type and not an SMG II type!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Magnetti's control system is called 'Selespeed' , Interestingly they have bought out a new second generation control system which is meant to have better communications with the car ecu, I wonder if Mustang is using that?

regards,
Tarkan

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
From various articles, it seems the M3 has a more advanced system than the one Ferrari, & Aston Martin use. As for the MR2 Spyder, I've read it's a pretty bad one (but what do you expect given it's much lower price than the M3 & those other 2?).

·
Registered
74 Posts
SMG Drivelogic is over kill till you look at what BMW where trying to achieve.

Ferrari went with the off-the-shelf system and modified the software to match the car very well, but their only goal was to create a Ferrari quirks or no quirks.

BMW with the M3 are faced with a car which has to cover many sectors from a luxury tourer to a commute car to track, so they needed to create system which had the flexiblity to adapt and the best judge of the moment is the person driving, so they give you 11 modes of operation to adapt the gearbox to suit any road condition or mood.

One thing you got to remember with all these systems is that they are software driven, all it is a computer moving actuators to move the clutch and the gear stick, so I think the SMG-II drivelogic will be dropped soon in favour of the simpler system. more research effort will be put in to the simpler version, with improvements to fuzzy logic and sensor technology we will end up with a system where 3 modes is plenty, an automatic mode which will change gears as smooth as any automatic, and manual mode which will be as smooth as someone driving a normal manual, and a sport mode where more use is made of rev matching so gears can be changed without the clutch being fully depressed and minimising the time the car is off power.

regards,
Tarkan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts