BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SMG DELAY after SHIFT?

This usually occurs during downshift but i've noticed it sometimes in an upshift...

Not talking about drivelogic.. (happens after the shift)

In S4 or S5, when mostly downshifting the engine/RPM will rev suddenly up and the car will then "catch" and accelerate accordingly. It would before just accelerate right off the bat after it downshifts but now it takes a second to "catch on."

Is this normal? Is this a brip? Slipping Clutch? I have 800 miles so far.:dunno: :dunno:

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm... but why the recent change? It didn't do that before.. it would catch on quickly but now it takes a second. It even happens when I downshift and when using 1/4 throttle..

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
Its a rev match to keep the car steady. If it didnt do this, and someone that didnt know what they were doing was driving, your car would redline and come to a screetching halt.

Example: If you are keeping a steady pace around a nice tight turn, and you downshifted in the SMG, it is going to rev match so there is no sudden jerk or spinning of the wheels that might cause you to lose control. It is just mirroring waht a race car driver would be doing.

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i'm in 5th gear.. and i want to accelerate to make a pass.. i downshift to 3rd gear.. it takes like almost 2 secs to reach that gear and start moving. Does your SMG do this too?

Per downshift gear.. it's about 1 sec each time. I shift say at 3.5kRPM.. it'll RPM up to 4,500 and then catch in gear. Just not sure if this is normal or I should take it for service. I understand the rev matching but I don't get why there's such a long delay to get in gear.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,702 Posts
simple solution.... a manual gear box!

·
Registered
158 Posts
i think your car is still learning your driving style... only 800 miles. it will get faster at shifting and even smoother depending on how you've been feathering the throttle during shifts.

i have 7k miles now and it shifts fine for me... but i did notice it during wierd things during both break in periods.

·
Registered
668 Posts
that's right, the SMG is adaptive. Drive it hard, and it will learn your driving preference. perhaps you've disconnected your battery or sumptin and erased all the programs?

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
I do triple clicks on the freeway all the time, 6th to 3rd. You sure its a whole 2 second delay, or just seems like it cuz it isnt instant as you wish. Im in at least S5 mode all the time, and my downshifts engage almost instantly every time.

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
hayaku said:
i think your car is still learning your driving style... only 800 miles. it will get faster at shifting and even smoother depending on how you've been feathering the throttle during shifts.
Drive that baby hard, just like how it was made for. My suggestion, keep it in S5 or higher all the time.....when needing to downshift aggressively, just floor it while in your current gear, then left click away. When i drive, my left hand is at 9 oclock, with a finger on the left paddle at all times, just in case someone wants to play.

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try it... just wanna make sure it's not something that's wrong with the system. How about resetting it? Will that help or hurt?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you tried pressing down the gas pedal deeper when downshifting it should help make the gear change faster.

·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah.. depressing the gas pedal does shorten the shift time... I guess I'll get used to it.

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
mattman said:
yeah.. depressing the gas pedal does shorten the shift time... I guess I'll get used to it.
Oh man, you definately have to have the pedal floored if you are going for power downshifts. If not, then you will have that slow delayed rev match.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts