E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it would be possible to put the SMG transmission from the E46 M3 in a 2002 330ci. Also how much would this cost to do if it is even possible. I know that i would also have to find a dealership that would have to do it. I want to know if the transmission will physically fit. If i can't do that, will the SMGII for the '04 330's fit. I want the M3 one because you can adjust the firmness of the shifts.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,759 Posts
anything is possible with enough money. Otherwise there is no way to make the M3 SMG work. It would also take considerable work and funds to make SSG or whatever from the 3er work.

M3 SMG will not work because SMG ties into the engine and the S54 is different from your M54. If you got around that issue you would have to make a wiring harness to connect the SMG tranny junk to the engine

SSG 3er will not work without a new tranny. After that you would need the SSG wiring harness, and possibly a new engine harness and new ECU.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Tim

·
Registered
91 Posts
M3 SMG II would work on 330. I heard from a friend that his friend had installed M3 SMG tranny on his 330 ci; however, it requires a lot of time and money.

By the way, SMG II (M3 version not SSG) was avaliable as an option in Taiwan one or two years ago for 330/325. But now, I think SSG replace SMG II.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i heard that SSG sucks though. not variation on shift firmness and lags.

·
Registered
219 Posts
greengiantjl said:

By the way, SMG II (M3 version not SSG) was avaliable as an option in Taiwan one or two years ago for 330/325. But now, I think SSG replace SMG II.
I am pretty sure SMG II is NOT available for 330/325. They do offer the SSG in the Asia/Europe market, and it was a $2500USD option in Hong Kong spec E46 since 2001.

·
Registered
91 Posts
mic325 said:

I am pretty sure SMG II is NOT available for 330/325. They do offer the SSG in the Asia/Europe market, and it was a $2500USD option in Hong Kong spec E46 since 2001.

They do, I read that from a magazine. It is a special build..I believe the cost was around CAD$5000....At the time SSG is not yet available....

·
Registered
219 Posts
greengiantjl said:

They do, I read that from a magazine. It is a special build..I believe the cost was around CAD$5000....At the time SSG is not yet available....
I see. Do you have any links for the article? I am excited about it:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry, I don't have the link. I read it in a Taiwanese car magazine (Taiwan Motor) almost 1- 2 yrs ago. I believe you cannot special order SMG II now because SSG is the system that they use currently...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thansk guys for all the info. I think that i am just going to get a 6 speed. after all i learned how to drive on a five speed. I just wanted the SMG II for the PIMP factor. It would have been bad A$$.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it cost about 5 grand total to put a new six speed in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts