E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
or is it just you?
554 Posts
I believe ZHP is the code for the performance package on the new 330.

·
TiAg 330i
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, ZHP is 330i high performance pkg. i heard that smg will be available for 3er this fall... want to know before deciding to get ZHP

·
Registered Abuser
1,022 Posts
According to BMW Magazine the 330i Performance Package comes with a six-speed manual. It doesn't mention SMG at all, however, the February BMWCar says that the new 330Ci will come with an optional six-speed SMG.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
is it true SMG or a cheaper version? I am guessing a cheaper version which will probably be more like step than SMG.

Either way it gets a :thumbdwn: from me.

Tim

·
Registered Abuser
1,022 Posts
tim330i said:
is it true SMG or a cheaper version? I am guessing a cheaper version which will probably be more like step than SMG.

Either way it gets a :thumbdwn: from me.

Tim
Tim, if you're asking about the SMG, the quote simply states that there will be a new six-speed SMG. Since it's from BMWCar, and I find them technically savvy, I would assume it's true SMG. They'd say if it was SSG or a quasi-SMG.

Then again, might just be a glorified Step! :dunno:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
tim330i said:
We discussed this before. What you guys are calling "true SMG" is officially the "SMG Drivelogic" or "SMG II". The regular 3 series can only be fitted with "SMG", which is a simplified version of SMG Drivelogic. Both are bona fide manual transmissions underneath.

·
Registered Abuser
1,022 Posts
I finally cracked open the March PerformanceBMW and they're saying that it'll be 6-speed SSG.

Anyone have experience with SSG?

·
--
709 Posts
SSG is what Europe has on the regular 3-series. It's like the SMG but slower shifts and i think only 3 modes, automatic, manual, and sport.

·
--
709 Posts
"the introduction of SSG (Sequential Shift Gearbox) to 325 and 330i. BMW claimed it is a simplified version of the M3’s sequential manual box, but it is actually built around the regular 5-speed manual rather than the M3's 6-speeder and most importantly, the shift mechanism is supplied by Italy's Magneti-Marelli instead of Siemens. You might remember Magneti-Marelli is the maker of Alfa Romeo's Selespeed and Ferrari's F1 system, so SSG should be much cheaper than the SMG. Unfortunately, shift response is far slower than SMG. There are 3 modes: in "Normal" mode, shift takes 400-500ms; in "Sport" mode, it is reduced to 250-300ms but shift quality is less smooth; in "Launch" mode, 150ms can be achieved from first to second gear."
from
http://autozine.kyul.net/html/BMW2.htm

since its like the SMG but based off of the 5-speed it has to have a clutch, just a computer controlled one.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
I think you guyz are talking about SSG, the won't be avaliable in 3ers till later this summer, i think BMWMA gonna launch the SSG on Z4 3.0 first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts