E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done it? Especially on a non-M SMG. Will the reduction in rotating mass upset the finely tuned hydraulics? Had bad experience with a 3.46 diff in the past, my SMG just refused to read the new ratio properly.

Looking at either a Spec or AA flywheel.

·
--
714 Posts
hmmm, interesting. I was about to say that M's can do flywheels clutches and diffs, then I remembered the posts on how your diff wouldn't work properly. sucks

Maybe E-mail a company and see if they think it would work. If they say it does and you find it doesn't than you'd probably be refunded. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've sent e-mails to RE, SPEC and AA, all seem to be a too easy 'yes'. Exactly the answer I got for my diff upgrade from various tuners. Would like to know if anyone has done it first hand.

4,229 Posts
The UUC flywheel/M5 hybrid clutch conversion works fine in the E46 M3 SMG... but your 330 SMG has a different gearbox.

The new lightweight 6-speed in use by the 330 6-speed and SMG has a unique style of flywheel and clutch, very different from any other BMW. In fact, the clutch disk spline is a totally different type than any other BMW, as is the pilot bearing mounting style. It's not better or worse, just different.

With that in mind, I can tell you that we have something really "trick" coming out for the 330 6-speed application. At this point, it's not tested in the SMG, so I certainly won't give you an "easy yes" about it.

However, if you're interested in being part of our test program ("membership has it's rewards"), please give me a call during the week.

- Rob Levinson

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rob for clearing things up. To complicate matters more, my car is a 2002 Euro Spec 5-speed SMG (not available in the US).

4,229 Posts
peppernick said:
Thanks Rob for clearing things up. To complicate matters more, my car is a 2002 Euro Spec 5-speed SMG (not available in the US).
Oh, cool!

I'll do some cross-referencing and figure out if I think our 5-speed setup should work. If I think it does and you're game to test it (with the understanding that it might not), you're still a candidate for our field-test program - discounted costing on the parts, full return if they don't work.

If interested, shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]) and I'll update you ASAP.

- Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts