E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Sluggish Start, Lurch, SES and AT Lights

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  SanDiegoE46Girl 
#1 ·
I'm starting a new thread for this issue, since I think it's separate from my rough engine issues that are now pretty much gone. (Yay!)

Here are the symptoms:

• Starting out from a complete stop or from slowly coasting along is sometimes sluggish/not immediately responsive.
  • The car lurches a little bit (like a hard shift) to get going. It sounds like it's shifting up from first to second.
  • The SES and Automatic Transmission warning lights come on.
  • The car runs fine and shifts up and down pretty smoothly as I drive, speed up, slow down etc.
  • Still struggles starting out.

This SEEMS to happen mostly when the engine is warm. I don't have that much trouble pulling away from my curb when I first start out in the morning. But if I get somewhere, stop, and then start out again while the engine is still warm, I tend to experience this.

I'm amazed at how smoothly the gears are shifting from one to the next. Things had been a bit clunky, but they seem better since I cleaned my ICV, TB, replaced my MAF sensor, and put on a new TB gasket. Does this make sense? Would doing these things make the shifts smoother? Still learning about how these automobile things work. ;)

Oh, and I've tried pulling the codes. Even with the SES light on, the Peake tool gives me nothing, just the two dashes "--".

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
One other thing I should mention:

I tried replacing the intake boots, but the dealer gave me the wrong ones. I have to go back and exchange them, so I'm currently using the old ones. There were no noticeable problems with the old ones, but that doesn't mean there isn't a pinhole leak. I saw no cracks or tears.

Just wanted to add that bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.