BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a BMW E46 2002 318i - Automatic. It's been causing me problems recently where:
  • Car pulls off fine on start and drives fine for most of the time
  • But sometimes, into the journey, starts feeling sluggish and slows right down when off accelerator - like I'm driving with a flat tyre or something
  • When its being like this its hard to get the car up to speed - revs above 3000rpm without gaining much speed and slows down as soon as foot off the accelerator
  • Also noticed that, problem first starts when moving off after having breaked to a stop. Normally, as its an automatic, car edges forward when off the break. But lately it doesn't move forward until accelerator pressed.
  • There is an error code 2781 - CDKPH - Camshaft Sensor Inlet. I cleared it and car is driving a bit better but still not edging forward when off the break. Could a faulty camshaft sensor be causing these problems?
  • MPG has also dropped to 22.6 from 26.6
Any ideas what might be wrong? I thought it might be tyre pressure but was wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Sticky brake caliper

·
Registered
561 Posts
Why are you ignoring the Camshaft sensor fault? These soft and hard fail and cause sluggish performance, or a no start/stalling condition. Try replacing the intake cam sensor first, OE BMW only.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Although they shouldn't be ignored, they won't cause it to brake harder without pressing the brake pedal (especially when the car is acting sluggish and slowing down at a faster rate after heating the brakes up and expanding (or squeezing) the caliper together). It's a caliper that is starting to lock up.

Sam, jack up the front end of the car. See which wheel doesn't spin freely. It is most likely a front rotor. Let me know, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
^^ In the meantime, are you on floridabimmer?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Oh no I'm not. What's that a regional forum or club?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
855 Posts
Although they shouldn't be ignored, they won't cause it to brake harder without pressing the brake pedal (especially when the car is acting sluggish and slowing down at a faster rate after heating the brakes up and expanding (or squeezing) the caliper together). It's a caliper that is starting to lock up.

Sam, jack up the front end of the car. See which wheel doesn't spin freely. It is most likely a front rotor. Let me know, I could be wrong.
My car has always been this way, let me know if it's normal.

Going 40 down a street then popping it into neutral will let me roll at/near that speed for days.

But going down a street, then letting off the gas will cause the car to slow down more than one mph per second.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
But going down a street, then letting off the gas will cause the car to slow down more than one mph per second.
That's true, my car has always done this as well. after letting off the accel to coast, about two seconds in you will feel the engine braking effect kick in even more. That's because of fuel-cutoff to the cylinders happens at the same time.

But what isn't normal is the fact that only after hard braking his car slows down a lot more than before the hard braking occurred. This is because his already seizing caliper is getting hot and expanding, like it normally should. But since it is seizing already, it just makes it much worse and noticeable. You can feel it in the steering wheel if you are in tune with your car. The engine is working harder no matter if the brakes are hot or cold since the caliper is already seizing.

I could be wrong. This is my non-professional diagnosis with a quick , easy, and check that wont cost you a dime. Gotta start with that stuff in this process.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts