BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 325i, with a 5 speed and it has 104k miles on it. When I accelerate from about 2800 to 3000 it is almost like the car is lagging just a little but once I am over 3000 it kicks like a bimmer should! It isn't very violent but its noticable and quite annoying to me. I shift around 31-35k so it isn't due to the lack of rpms. I am in Iowa so ethanol is about as common as air so occasionally i fill up with it but it is always 91 octane or above. Help me!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'd also check your intake boot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does MAF stand for? Im sorry, Im only 17 and still learning a lot but know a fair amount for my age thanks to my first e30 and an american only car buying dad! Hence the bimmerKID. haha

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
What does MAF stand for? Im sorry, Im only 17 and still learning a lot but know a fair amount for my age thanks to my first e30 and an american only car buying dad! Hence the bimmerKID. haha
Mass Air Flow sensor.
its a sensor between your airbox and intake rubber boot with a plug on it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Okay, I will check that after school and get back to you guys. Thanks!
The intake boot going down from the air intake to the motor is made out of rubber and cracks over time. Feel around for a whole or crack, maybe take it out and inspect to be sure. A crack will cause the motor to bog out bad at ~3,000 rpms.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The intake boot going down from the air intake to the motor is made out of rubber and cracks over time. Feel around for a whole or crack, maybe take it out and inspect to be sure. A crack will cause the motor to bog out bad at ~3,000 rpms.
hole.:facepalm:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and I took the electrical plug off the vanos solenoid and cleaned it up and used a small nail to bend the connections in a little so that it would get better contact and it not only cured the problem with the surging at 2k to 3k, it also gave the car a noticeable power boost. It was a post from dmax that I found while searching. I read countless posts where people had the same problem and did all kinds of sh1t to try and fix it. Most did not. I was going to get the new lower intake boot and do a ccv job on it and a few other things but I started with this and ,,,wow,,, It worked. I got lucky. I know, It sounds to easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts