BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my tranny is being rebuilt.

as its going to be a few weeks, i decided to clean out sludge the motor with 89k have accumulated

first up valve cover

second inside

3rd is a pic of it pretty clean still need to get in those hard to reach spaces, one of the wholes where the oil needs to go through was cloged

this pic is of the oil pan cleaned, but it also was pretty sludgy! with tar like oil grease

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Dang!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is a m43b19 engine drizzlez, dont know what oils, and when it had been changed. but i got 5-40 synthetic now. Dang blarf, looks amazing

·
Registered
28,449 Posts
Why was the car taken to jiffy lube or similar ? Yes, use mobil 1 0w40 a few times to degrease the engine. Then switch to BMW or Castrol oil for proper service.
Really? No recommendation as to the exact type of Castrol oil? You could use any Castrol oil and you'd be fine? Really? :facepalm:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Really? No recommendation as to the exact type of Castrol oil? You could use any Castrol oil and you'd be fine? Really? :facepalm:
You really hate GoingNuts, don't you? :tsk:

I hate his trolling too but this last post he wrote is fine. He didn't say any Castrol, nor any BMW. :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm wondering what the price difference is between the right German Castrol jug and a genuine BMW one... I'll have to check

·
Registered
28,449 Posts
You really hate GoingNuts, don't you? :tsk:

I hate his trolling too but this last post he wrote is fine. He didn't say any Castrol, nor any BMW. :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm wondering what the price difference is between the right German Castrol jug and a genuine BMW one... I'll have to check
Yes... I hate him. But right, he didn't say any Castrol, but he doesn't need to. He knows exactly what he means. I've never once heard him mention a specific castrol--according to him it just has to be Castrol because that's the logo BMW was paid to put on their caps. My point is that it's blind loyalty in typical GN fashion.

Mobil 1 is perfectly fine for BMW. I used to run it in my M3 and never had these "marbles in a can" noise GN speaks of.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I must admit i'm a little puzzled with the advice to stop using mobil 1 0w 40 as well. It is an approved oil for this car, and is MUCH easier to find than the german castrol.

Can you elaborate as to why it should only be used for cleaning purposes?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Because it's good at cleaning ? It's also good at putting marbles in a tin can inside your engine. If you don't want marbles, you don't use mobil 1. Simple enough ?
as much as i'd love to just say yes, no. That isn't simple enough. I have mobile 1 0w 40 in my car right now, and I don't understand your marble theory. The engine sounds perfectly tight, no odd noises, nothing. I get the valve tap for a few seconds at start and thats it.

Also, what makes it better at cleaning than the castrol? and what makes it worse for everyday use?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts