BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last week that I lost oil pressure and the red light came up in my dash, I called a tow truck and took my car to the dealer, they opened un the motor cover and here is what they found.

I have been the only owner of the car, it is a 2002 325 Ci with 114,000 kilometers; I have never neglected the maintenance, I'm a mecanical engineer and have done the oil changes about every 15,000 kilometers with mobil 1 0 W 40 oil.

the engine has no damage, the oil pump was blocked and I stopped the car on time, I saw three other cars like mine at the dealer with the same problem but they damaged the engine because did not stop on time, they told me BMW Mexico as issued a change on the frequency of the oil changes to 12,000 Kilometers for 2008 models due to the high sulfure in the gas in the country.

they will remove the head and dip it in acid to remove all the carbon deposits and only will change the valve covers because they will get damaged with the acid.

Anyway a picture tells more than 1000 words, I will let the pics do the talking.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Damn!!!!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would never wait that long for an oil change, espeically if you drive the car hard or drive under short trips and lots of traffic roads.

Oil changes have been a big topic on the forums - everyone has there thing to say. Personally I change every 3K to 4K miles only because I drive my car hard and I live in a busy city (NYC) with short time on the highway. I track the car in the summer and recently added a nitrous system so I've been having a load of fun. :)

·
Registered
20,110 Posts
I posted last week that I lost oil pressure and the red light came up in my dash, I called a tow truck and took my car to the dealer, they opened un the motor cover and here is what they found.

I have been the only owner of the car, it is a 2002 325 Ci with 114,000 kilometers; I have never neglected the maintenance, I'm a mecanical engineer and have done the oil changes about every 15,000 kilometers with mobil 1 0 W 40 oil.

the engine has no damage, the oil pump was blocked and I stopped the car on time, I saw three other cars like mine at the dealer with the same problem but they damaged the engine because did not stop on time, they told me BMW Mexico as issued a change on the frequency of the oil changes to 12,000 Kilometers for 2008 models due to the high sulfure in the gas in the country.

they will remove the head and dip it in acid to remove all the carbon deposits and only will change the valve covers because they will get damaged with the acid.

Anyway a picture tells more than 1000 words, I will let the pics do the talking.
How much is the dealer charging you? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:
I was planning to change the vanos seal on the summer, but guess I will have to change it earlier to check for sludge.
Always wondered what is the dealer going to do about that?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much is the dealer charging you? Just wondering.
They quoted me about 1,500 dollars, one of the other cars had to pay about 5K incluiding the parts, FYI, The oil changes are every 15,000 KILOMETERS, not miles and yes, I do drive my car hard and on heavy traffic conditions, not highway

·
Registered
391 Posts
They quoted me about 1,500 dollars, one of the other cars had to pay about 5K incluiding the parts, FYI, The oil changes are every 15,000 KILOMETERS, not miles and yes, I do drive my car hard and on heavy traffic conditions, not highway
How was your car driving with all that build up?? what did it feel like?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts