E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 323 ci. i am happy with its power now that i've installed ecis intake last month. it's getting cold down in GA. so i have to use the heater. i set it at around 69-71 degrees. when the fan is on my car loses so much power. it doesn't even rev that high.... :bawling: i understand you lose power with AC on but the heater? y'all know why?

·
Registered
671 Posts
it uses a fan to blow air into the car....same with the ac

·
Core Fanatic
1,145 Posts
If you A/C button is on (reguardless of temperature), your compressor is running. When you have the A/C button off, I have never heard of losing power because of the fan (unless the alternator is not working).

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
konijay said:
i have 323 ci. i am happy with its power now that i've installed ecis intake last month. it's getting cold down in GA. so i have to use the heater. i set it at around 69-71 degrees. when the fan is on my car loses so much power. it doesn't even rev that high.... :bawling: i understand you lose power with AC on but the heater? y'all know why?
That actual fan that blows air into the cabin has pretty much no drain on the engines output.
The AC compressor does when it is engaged. If you have your HVAC system setup in such a way that you're asking for defogging or defrosting, then the AC compressor is probably being activated. If you are expriencing extreme power loss and the actual engine RPM doesn't get to redline as before then you should have a non dealer BMW technician check out the problem.

Even with the AC on these inline 6's still have quite a bit of torque output and mine has no problem hitting redline even when the compressor is engaged.
Recheck you ECIS install and make sure you don't have any air leaks and make sure you haven't knocked any sensors or connectors off of where they should be.

TT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts