E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5-speed shifter on my '99 328i with 106k miles is very, very sloppy. Sometimes I have a hard time finding 3rd from 5th or 1st. I've searched and can't seem to find a solution other than a SSK. Can the bushings on the shift lever and associated rods be changed as on the E36 cars to try to bring the shift action back to like new? If so, how hard is it with the car on the garage floor?

Scott

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Pigeon said:
Sometimes I have a hard time finding 3rd from 5th or 1st.
Perhaps you should try doing what I do...going into 3rd from 2nd or 4th.

·
Ultimate Wagon
920 Posts
Pigeon said:
The 5-speed shifter on my '99 328i with 106k miles is very, very sloppy. Sometimes I have a hard time finding 3rd from 5th or 1st. I've searched and can't seem to find a solution other than a SSK. Can the bushings on the shift lever and associated rods be changed as on the E36 cars to try to bring the shift action back to like new? If so, how hard is it with the car on the garage floor?

Scott
Any particular reasons (if other than cost) you seems to stay away from SSK? I bought mine used (but was still new in box for ~$170) and I do find significant improvement from the stock shifter.

As for DIY, based on what I saw how they did it (I was in the shop all the time), I woulld not be able to do it myself, nor will I, the next time around.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You have worn out shifter arm bushings.
I did it last week
i replaced parts from 10-15 and parts 2 & 7

you can also check for the whole procedure at :
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Shift_Bushings/E36-Shift_Bushings.htm

E36 adn E46s share the same shift assembly

installing a SSK would improve it but there would still be a degree of play coz it is inherent in the bushings.... it would improve by the percentage of shift reduction.

this job costs about 40-55 $ and you can DIY

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, more on the shifter. It's been stiff in the horizontal plane to go towards 5th, but today sporadically it's been free in the horizontal part of the pattern and when left in neutral will fall ton just below 5th. This is intermittent though. Are there centering springs in the mechanism that might be binding or broken, or could seriously worn bushings cause this?

Oh, I sometimes skip gears either to save a couple shifts if I'm just tooling along slowly or if I'm aggresively braking say from 5th and 3rd is the appropriate gear on the corner exit, no need to hit 4th.

Scott

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SD 328I said:
Sounds like the problem I have. When the car is cold, especially in the morning, my shifter will not center in neutral but it lays to the right on the 5th gear gate. After driving a little while, it returns to normal for the rest of the day!

Here is a link decribing the problem, mostly E36 guys:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48002&page=1&pp=25&highlight=stick+cold
Great.... at least I know I'm not alone. Unfortunately I bought this thing with literally 14 miles left on the CPO warranty that would have covered this. Now that I'm 6k miles out of warranty I'm screwed :cry: Any idea what the "Roundel fix" is?

Scott

4,171 Posts
You've got three areas of trouble:

1) shifter - your shifter is shot. That's part #5 in the diagram posted previously.

2) selector rod joint - parts 12, 13, 14 in the diagram.

3) transmission - that shifter-flop is not good news. It's the detent springs which can be repaired, but not easily. You can ignore it, it's not going to affect the actual gears and won't leave you stranded. You might be better off locating a guaranteed used transmission, $500-$900.

Both #1 and #2 problems will recur with mileage, 90% of your current sloppiness within 6-12 months. Not surprisingly, I feel using replacement OE shifter components is a waste of money... why buy something designed to wear out so quickly?

As a permanent solution to the worn selector joint and worn shifter lower pivot bushings, we offer the DSSR:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/dssr/

The DSSR works perfectly even with your OE BMW shifter and is a great "shifter fix" solution for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money, wants a permanent fix, and does not want the SSK.

- Rob

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Luckily for my I bought my car used with a extended warranty. But they only cover internal tranny problems. Rob Levinson, do you know if the shifter flop would be considered an internal tranny problem?

Also Rob, you said it can be ignored? It only happens when the car is cold, but never after. Is it safe to say this will continue to be the case, or will it get worse to the point the shifter always stays on the 5th gear detent in neutral?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.