E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325i
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been battling my oil consumption issues and whilst on a long drive I pulled over and hastily checked the oil without letting it all drain into the pan. Assuming it had been burnt away, I added oil and went on my way. This was near the end of the drive, so I've only gone around 15 miles since then (I don't drive a ton around the city). I rechecked my oil and it appears I have overfilled my oil. I'm not sure by how much, but attached is an image of the dipstick. Will this cause issues? I'm hoping it burns away like all my oil does, but unfortunately I may have fixed my consumption issue. Will this be an issue, and if so what's the easiest way to remove the oil without having to drain the whole engine?
Wood Paint Writing instrument accessory Office supplies Writing implement

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325i
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would also like to mention that I am around 650 miles from an oil change. I am currently in the first of 3 rapid oil changes and engine flushes every 1000 miles, not sure if it's okay to do an oil change before the 1000 mile mark, but would like to avoid it after spending so much $$ on oil recently

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Most guys at track days add an extra quart of oil to prevent any sloshing issues. A little bit overfilled should not be a problem. To me it is at the top of the second flat spot which on some E46 dipsticks, that is the right spot. My car it would be overfilled by about half a quart and no issue. Oil change can be done every day if you wanted - the length of time is really only an issue if you have a cleaner in it that should only be in the engine for 15 minutes or if you do super long interval oil changes.

No need to obscure any numbers on the dipstick - no info to be had there.

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
+1- That's fine.
It takes an extra 2+ quarts to cause any problems on a street car...

t
windage

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,981 Posts
you’ll be fine

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
If I was at a point where I only had 15 miles to go, I would not be checking the oil, especially in the absence of any other reason to stop. (You said that you have only gone 15 miles since you overfilled...)

Somebody said that it takes 2 extra quarts to over fill, but I'm not sure that's true. Having said that, you have not over filled enough to be a problem.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
I would also like to mention that I am around 650 miles from an oil change. I am currently in the first of 3 rapid oil changes and engine flushes every 1000 miles, not sure if it's okay to do an oil change before the 1000 mile mark, but would like to avoid it after spending so much $$ on oil recently

It's fine, if wasteful, to change the oil every 15 minutes if you wanted to.

There is no harm in a 1,000 mile oil change, but I have to wonder, why? Assuming the factory engineers think you can go 15,525 miles (then deduct for severe use, low miles low engine runtime, those kinds of things) then changing the oil at 5,000 miles is fine, and 3,000 miles is frequent. 1,000 miles has to be a special purpose, and If I was going to employ such a procedure, I would use the most basic oil I could find. The point of expensive oil is that it is formulated for long life -- the 15,525 miles that the engineers think you can go -- and if you are tossing the oil at 1,000 miles there is no reason to go with the long life oil type.

·
Registered
2001 325ci
1,435 Posts
How many qt it takes to raise from Min to middle?
not sure if u r seriously asking, u r here forever and mentioned too many times. about 1 quart from MIN to MAX. so, about half a quart.
how safe at min end? i wouldn't worry (on my 325ci) being at MIN, i always wait till it gets...just there to use up all 1 quart to replenish, or wont bother if just a few more hundred miles for OCI. unless u have a noticeable leak or bad consumption...

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325i
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm trying to clean my oil control rings with the Liqui Moly method that you can probably easily find on the forums. You use their engine flush and then 2-3 oil changes every 1000 miles with engine flushes in between. It should hopefully clean the rings and I don't have to go to more expensive and time consuming methods. I just used their oil since yes it's not the cheapest, but it's not super expensive.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
not sure if u r seriously asking, u r here forever and mentioned too many times. about 1 quart from MIN to MAX. so, about half a quart.
how safe at min end? i wouldn't worry (on my 325ci) being at MIN, i always wait till it gets...just there to use up all 1 quart to replenish, or wont bother if just a few more hundred miles for OCI. unless u have a noticeable leak or bad consumption...
I drive my wife's 325i last Sunday and during going down a steep hill the yellow light came on. Next morning check the dipstick and it was at MIN. I planed to change oil/filter this weekend and don't want to top off but wanted to make sure it's safe. I also didn't know 1 qt is needed to change from MIN to MAX. So it's safe.
Car has no oil leak -- not a single drop. Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 330i ZHP 6spd, 2004 330i ZHP Auto, 2001 330i Auto
7 Posts
What a waste. The oil won't even have done any cleaning...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts