BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I come out of the mall to find a car parked VERY close to my rear bumper in the spot behind me. I look closer and there is the indent marks of the license plate in my rear bumper! Dude must have tapped me and then backed up a little so he wouldn't be parked on my bumper.

Basically I'm just posting to see if anyone else has had this happen and how the fixed it. I don't think touch up paint would work since the outline of the screw would still be there indented...
Buying a new bumper the only way to go here? (it's not super noticable, but c'mon I'm a fanatic and obviously can't stand to drive around like this forever!)

Oh, and on a slightly brighter note. I installed my DIY clutch stop. Works flawlessly, no problems starting and perfect smooth shifts every time. (Still doesn't make up for the damn bumper dents though!)

Any thoughts on what to do about the bumper?

·
OO[][]OO
528 Posts
dude,

did you wait for the owner of the other car AND ................ ?

PS: You can use plastic filler and then do paint touch up - guessing that should work to cover the small "dent" from the screw, also I think there is no need of replacing the hole bumper cuz of that thing .

3C

---------------------

Audi A6 Quattro Oetinger
BMW 330Ci EVOSport
MB C280 Elegance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Same thing happened to me, but I got tapped at a red light. $650 to fix and paint it at the dealer. I took the check, bought some filler and touch up paint, bada bing, no problemo.

You did wait for the person to come out of the mall, no? Or sign your name in his paint??? Sugar in his gas tank? banana in the tailpipe? Urinate on his door handle? Something, right?

Chip-

·
OO[][]OO
528 Posts
carguy84 said:

Or sign your name in his paint??? Sugar in his gas tank? banana in the tailpipe? Urinate on his door handle? Something, right?

Chip-
Chip,

that is funny - that remaind me of one movie where the bad dudes did busted out one of the tail light and did stick the wires with the broken brake light bulb into the gas tank filler hole - so when the owner of the car step on the brake pedal for take of the broken bulb flament will light up and blow up the car ......... but that is just a movie heh

3C

--------
C280
330Ci
A6Q

·
Super Nintendo Chalmers
2,055 Posts
Happens to me a lot. Waay too much. That's what I get for parking in Westwood, i guess. I would replace it, but I'm sure it's gonna keep happening. I'm just gonna get my screwdriver next time and take the guy's front license plate.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help guys

Nah, I didn't do anything to his car. I know it sucks but it wouldn't have fixed the damage on my car by vandalizing his. (although urinating all over his car does sound entertaining...I'll keep that in mind.)

So Chip, how did the filler and touch up work out?

It does sound ridiculous to replace the whole bumper, but I just figured it would tough to repair this. Apparently not. Let me know how this stuff works out and where would I find some of that filler?

TIA

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I just used the stuff from Pep boys, if you need a specific naem, I'll stop by tomorrow when I'm running my errands and get it, I can't remember now.

It has worked fine. I was worried about the cold weather, but it seems to have just made it even more solid. It's not perfect, but perfection would have meant sanding the area around it too. you can't notice it tho unless you put your nose on it.

Chip-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts