E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
99% Stock
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys for the constant retarded manual questions i have. I just read on this board not to skip gears when upshifting. I heard people do it in order to save their gears from wear. So sometimes i go 2-4 or 3-5 when im just cruising.

Is this bad and what would it do if it is? Thanks.

·
Mod Squad
9,629 Posts
I skip gears all the time, what's the big deal :dunno: I shift from 1st to 3rd everyday. Now I haven't done a 3rd to 5th on the e46, but on the e36 there's a bit of friction on that one, so I stay away from it. A 2nd to 4th I've never tried, seems useless somehow?

·
99% Stock
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You automatically grind? I didn't hear or feel anything different. Am i grinding without noticing it?

·
Mod Squad
9,629 Posts
Nothing grinds, push clutch in, move shift lever from 1st gear, slide into 3rd, disengage clutch. That's it.

Edit: I forgot to mention taking my foot off the gas

Edit2: Glad we can edit. Anyway I just re read you're reply, in my e36, yes, damn near everytime I skipped from 3rd to 5th, there'd be some resistance, not grinding so much as it seemed as if the tranmission was trying to catch up or something, it always took a second or so before I could get into 5th. I haven't tried it on the e46, and seeing how it's 10 years newer than my e36 is I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm just paranoid:eek:

·
99% Stock
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i also double clutch skips usually, so i guess its just like going from neutral to gear?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts