BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those with Sirius - did you have yours professionally installed? I got the car kit for Christmas and the wiring looks kinda complicated.... if you can point me to the right direction, that would be great!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
...thirty secons eh? not to shabby...but is tehre any other place you could put the recieiver my g/f has XM on her 04 330 vert and its down near the bottom left side of the front windshield??

·
Registered
121 Posts
...thirty secons eh? not to shabby...but is tehre any other place you could put the recieiver my g/f has XM on her 04 330 vert and its down near the bottom left side of the front windshield??
putting in the windshield works fine. I've done it in a few cars with no problems. It might be an issue in a truck or something with a more vertical windshield.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put mine in the center line of the roof just above the rear window glass (where OEM antenna is installed). Running the wires was pretty simple, it took me about 30 minutes. Push the wire inside of the trim along the glass, under the roof rack mount (it pops-off) and down a-pillar trim into the cabin. I have the unit mounted in the left corner of the windshield.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did the same as dcar. I mounted the receiver on the left side front windshield. It appeared to be the best location for viewing the data. I know I have read others have put theirs down where the ash tray and cig lighter are. As far as the wiring, I cut the cig lighter end off and wiried in an ignition source (on when radio is).

Hope this helps,

Garrett

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sirius

I put my receiver near the top of the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror. It works great but I really didn't want the stupid cigarette lighter adapter for power. In order to fix this you can't just "cut the cig lighter end off and wiried in an ignition source" because the cig lighter adapter input is 9-16 Volts DC and the output to the receiver is 5.2 volts 1.5A DC. If you just cut off the end you won't have the step down resistors and you will fry your receiver. If you want a direct wire in you need to take apart the cig adapter and take out the inner parts. Take the positive <red> wire and connect it to a positive lead on the car (I believe it is brown). I connected my adapter to the constant 12v source going to the reading lights in front of the rear view mirror. After you do that you have to ground the black wire you need to sand off the paint that you see on the roof when you take out the light housing. drill a hole (or self tapping screws) to hold the black wire down grounded. wrap the positive parts in electrical tape and the negative parts in electrical tape and then wrap up the whole thing together and stuff up in the cavity and replace the light module. As for the antenna I ran it under the moulding down under the door jambs under the back seat and into the trunk then came up onto the back deck and covered it (along with my computer GPS reciever) with the same type of cover that is used over the motion sensor.(in the middle of the roof) All in all it took about an hour to complete but the install looks super clean. As a caution DO NOT do this with your battery connected, the positive lead that is going to the lights is ALWAYS HOT meaning your key doesn't even have to be in the ignition for it to have power going to it. Sorry for such a long post. If anyone has any questions PM me.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Mine is in the center above the rear window...had it pro-installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
rdrit, all of the receivers are different as far as power draw. When I installed mine I did take apart the lighter end and there was a wire going to the ground pins on the side of the lighter and one going to the fuse. You are very much correct in your statement as far as other receivers or cell phone adapters go. I also think it states in the manual what voltage the receiver takes and mine states between 11-16 volts which is what the power output will most likely be in your car. So to the OP, if you are going to wire this hot or otherwise check what input voltage is required for your radio.

Garrett

·
Registered
346 Posts
i put my antenna on the rear shelf by the child seat hooks
My XM antenna is mounted UNDER the rear parcel shelf for an invisible install. I have non-folding seats so i just pulled the seats out, started with the antenna, ran the wire through an existing wiring grommet and up under the sills to the dash and then through the dash to the receiver. The antenna itself I slid up through one of the holes in the metal parcel shelf and then slid as far back as possible. Had great reception with no problems there and totally stealth. If you really wanted to get it waaay back you could pull the rear parcel shelf cover off but I didn't need to in order to get good reception.

Scott

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My XM antenna is mounted UNDER the rear parcel shelf for an invisible install. I have non-folding seats so i just pulled the seats out, started with the antenna, ran the wire through an existing wiring grommet and up under the sills to the dash and then through the dash to the receiver. The antenna itself I slid up through one of the holes in the metal parcel shelf and then slid as far back as possible. Had great reception with no problems there and totally stealth. If you really wanted to get it waaay back you could pull the rear parcel shelf cover off but I didn't need to in order to get good reception.

Scott
see that is my whole point - i dont want ANY wires showing (i have seen some sloppy jobs) and I would prefer to not have the antenna mounted on my roof for a invisible install

1 - 15 of 15 Posts