BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've searched but couldnt find a similar problem. The car is a 2003 BMW 330ci manual RWD 200k km, 125k Miles . First this clunk appeared when after parking for the night i backed out with the wheel fully turned and at the moment i turned the wheel the other way there was the clank. For some days it was only in this scenario. Now there is a clunk after parking the moment i Move the wheel to either direction from center. The clunk is much louder after parking overnight, less louder when parking shortly. There is a possible slight power steering fluid leak near the pump, but could be also engine oil. The fluid level is ok,but the fluid is old. There is also humming when wheel is in the center which stops after turning it off center. Suspension was ok at a technical inspection a month ago. I'm worried what it could be. Please help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe time for a new power steering pump (your already leaking). At least you get a warning...I got nothing...tried to drive out the garage and it was like steering a tank. Or should I say a tank surely steered better than that...I mean nothing.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m currently on holiday abroad with the car. I got underneath the car on the street and checked for loose bolts, cracked springs but nothing. No play in the wheel left right when i jacked up either side.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,533 Posts
Check the subframe to body bolts. The noise you describe can often be caused by such.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just changed the rack to a refurbished one and no more knocking. Flushed the whole system before installing and the pump is working well now, just a slight hum when dry steering , otherwise no noise. Thank you for all the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts