E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am another victim of the Dabears2k scam on the Dyanvin DVN-E46. They got me for $649.57 and all I got was a 5oz box stuffed with newspaper and a printout of the Dynavin manual in PDF form! Ok, I'm sure most are saying right now, yea, duh! Well, here is the sorted details on how they were able to scam me and keep my PayPal money. Hopefully this will allow anyone else to make sure they cover their bases when it comes to buying online.

On May 10th I received my federal tax return and had been itching to get the Dyanvin unit for almost 6 months. I first went to Euro-Spec (now DTM-Spec) but their order site was down because they were changing hosts. Stupid me, too egger to throw my money away, went to Dabears2K, at the time I didn’t realize all the trouble with them. I was leery of paying by PayPal on anything that large especially not an eBay auction but my desire for the Dynavin unit got the better of my common sense. I did however use my American Express on PayPal just to make doubly sure I was cover (good thing I hope) and paid $625.00 for the Dynavin unit and $24.57 for FedEx 3 day shipping ($649.57 total). So now begins the scam, 8 days later I get an email from Dabears2k that the “First Part” of my order was shipping. I reply back for a tracking number on the Dynavin unit and they respond that it was they “Software update” and instructions to install it and the Dynavin would follow shortly. Three days later I get a box via USPS First class mail that was 9” x 3” x 4” and only weighed 5oz. My wife signed for it because I was not home at the time. When I get home, I open the box to only find newspaper and a printed manual, no software.

I emailed dabears2k asking where the software was and they claim it was a mistake and they would ship the software in with the unit. Stupid me thinks they are being legit and made a simple mistake. I now wait another 2 weeks (4 total weeks waiting) and then I email again for the status of my order which on their website was still showing as pending. They respond back that they are awaiting the units from Dyanvin. Another week goes by and I email them that if I do not get the unit in 3 days, I will file a dispute with PayPal. I did not hear back from them. I call PayPal on June 14th (35 days after placing the order). I claim I did not receive what I ordered from Dabears2k. The person I spoke with was very nice and assured me they would resolve it within a few days and if Dabears2k didn’t respond back they would refund my money. On June 18th, debears2k posted the tracking information on the 5oz box they sent me as proof of delivery. I call PayPal and explain that was NOT the item I ordered just a box filled with newspaper and a printed maual. They said so you did receive something from them, and I said yes, but not what I had ordered. I faxed them all the correspondence and pictures of the box explaining it was impossible for a 8lbs + 7” car stereo GPS to fit in that box, much less weigh only 5oz. They said it was not their problem and PayPal is not responsible for merchandise that is not delivered as claimed. “Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund.” So basically PayPal washed their hands of it. So now I call American Express and with any luck, they can get my money back. Of course dabears2k doesn’t respond to my emails or calls anymore. Meanwhile, I have contacted IC3.gov and filed a complaint and BBBSD and plan if I don’t get a resolution through Amex, I will go to the San Diego DA and file a charges but I’m betting that will do no good either.

Moral of the story:
1. NEVER USE PAYPAL for anything but Auctions! :banghead:
2. Don’t trust a company that only accepts PayPal as payment.:censor:
3. Cavet Emptor “Let the buyer beware” :evil:

I hope this will help others not to make the same mistakes.

Ray

·
Registered
16 Posts
At least you got a manual... I got a FedEx tracking number that never even got picked up to get shipped. Ohio Attorney General's office contacted me since I put the complaint in on IC3.gov... but they haven't responded again since I sent them all the information. DABears replied to the Attorney's inquirey and said the complaint had been resolved through paypal. (rolls eyes) gee... I had screen shots and lots of emails to show otherwise. It's sad you still bit on this... I placed my order before anyone had posted any complaints about them. Good luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Anyone planning on purchasing a unit should go and contact the manufacture. They are very fast with responses to any questions. I asked for distributers in the US, and they were more than welcome to inform me. Anyway I would check to see if they have sent out the newer versions, these have the noise cancellation update on them now. So no bleeding from the radio!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So here is an interesting update: I sent an email today to dabears2k.com, here is the thread.

We are working to receive them from dynavin who had a production delay. We
are sending them to all 48 people waiting ASAP

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

[Hide Quoted Text]
Hi,

So I can assume that as a result of the PayPal dispute you are not going to
send the Dynavin unit or refund my $649.57?

Rene Laureyns

So what should I say to them??

Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having in the past a very shady distributor(european) for my products I was contacted directly by customers, who like yourself were scammed. I quickly sent out new products to the customers and shut down the shady distributor. I did occur a loss at the time but it was the right thing to do and hope Dyanvin does the same for you. As a manufacturer you need to stand behind your products and your distribution network but if one is not working correctly it will only negatively affect your products image and your bottom line. If I were you I would send off an email to Dyanvin directly and forward your shipping and payment information. I'm sure they will do the right thing for you. If they do not let us know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yeah, PAYPAL sucks!

I requested signature confirmation on a high dollar delivery one time. I live in the city and there are always people ready to steal something in front of the house while I'm away at work. Well, when the delivery guy showed up he let someone sign for my package ( he obviously didn't check for identification )

I filed the claim and Paypal just sent me a printout of the UPS tracking showing it was delivered a month later. They further state that I had obviously received the item based on this info. Keep in mind I had even provided them documentation from a UPS investigation that said they could not prove that the package had in fact been delivered to me ( I had tracked down the driver in my area who was the idiot that let someone steal my package ). Paypal buyer protection is just smoke and mirrors. The sender (FCP Groton) was the only one who could file a claim with UPS and b/c those douchebaga didn't spend a few bucks to insure the package for it's value they would only get a hundred back from UPS. So instead they just told me to F off.

Anyhow, F paypal I hate to use them, but unless there's an alternative for use by people like us it's a necessary evil.

·
Registered
680 Posts
So here is an interesting update: I sent an email today to dabears2k.com, here is the thread.

We are working to receive them from dynavin who had a production delay. We
are sending them to all 48 people waiting ASAP

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

[Hide Quoted Text]
Hi,

So I can assume that as a result of the PayPal dispute you are not going to
send the Dynavin unit or refund my $649.57?

Rene Laureyns

So what should I say to them??

Ray
Isnt that admitting that he didnt send you anything.....I dont understand why paypal isnt just doing a chargeback and telling this guy to shove it.

By the way Ray....I just set up a google checkout account as we discussed elsewhere and i read through all their info regarding this kind of situation from the merchant side of things....there is lots of talk of credit card chargebacks and how google handles those kinds of situations, I imagine paypal works in a similar manner....so.....it looks to me like you need to have your credit card handle this, not paypal, you pay your credit card so they will be on your side. dabears2k pays paypal so they may be inclined to be on his side.

I wouldnt take a dynavin from that guy if it were free.....wait until we see some warranty issues!

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Man that sucks that paypal didn't come through. I ALWAYS use my cc through paypal as a backup. Hopefully you will be set.
+1000. Got scammed once but luckily I used a credit card. I gave paypal a chance, they pretty much said I was SOL.

I called my credit card company, had the charge reversed in 2 days. Paypal was pissed. So I sent paypal a picture of myself to show the concern on my face.:tsk:

See, don't treat people like sh1t, reduces your chances of getting screwed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, today PayPal opened a new Dispute due to Amex's chargeback to them. So they sent another letter to [email protected] requesting they resolve this issue. I still laugh about his reply to me that they have 48 on order after Dynavin told me 2 weeks ago that Debears2k IS NOT a reseller of their products. I just hope as a result of this PayPal pulls their account. At this point if I don't get my money my last option is call my pre-paid legal aid service I have through my job to see what other options I have.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.