BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
If anyone could help me out or tell me what could be wrong with my stick shift I would appreciate it. I own a 2001 BMW 330ci. Whenever the car is warming up, when the stick is in neutral position, it sticks to the right as if a spring is not sending it back to the center. (It's in the position where i can push the stick straight up into 5th gear instead of 3rd). Although, once the car is warmed up the stick goes back to the center. Could this be a transmission problem? The car shifts perfect and does not pop out of gear. Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I get this problem too. I would also like to know the answer. I just move the stick right and left a few times to loosen it up so it doesnt get stuck. Like you mention, after car warms up, it wouldnt stay stuck as bad.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
It's the infamous 5th gear shifter flop. Very common, and it's not the shifter.

It's internal in the transmission. A simple $4.00 bushing! Unfortunately, you will need to have the tranny dropped to replace the part, so most people don't fix it until they have to do a clutch replacement.

Do some searches on the subject, there are a few good threads on it. You will find the part number needed for the new bushing, so when you have your clutch replaced in the future, you won't have to pay for labor to change the part out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
changing the transmission fluid does not cure the shifter flop!!
the shifter flop is caused by a stuck piston, and like stated above, the transmission must be disconnected from the engine to service it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts