BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE- still looking for an answer one way or the other.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great posts and answers.

I have searched to try to figure this, my question is 'is there a way to find out if my car is shark injected'.

I have a 323i '99 recently purchased, and after reading how slow they are I have been shocked by its acceleration a few times now.

[EDIT] example deleted.

It came installed with a dinan cai and a short shift kit. The previous owner did not know much about the past history. I have called dinan and they had no record of dinan software on my vin. There is a bav auto DISA installed also, so someone easily could have shark injected it as a DIY. (Dinan also had no record of my CAI so that was also a DIY.)

Strange question I know, but i don't want to buy some firmware that is already running. Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lol and to save time, I know I could just bounce the rev limit, I think the shark injector adds 500 rpm up top, but I'm not really ready to see if anything wants to let go.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds like you've just got shitty tires.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah, if you're lighting up the tires in 2nd let alone 3rd in a 323i you've either got a supercharger you neglected to mention, crappy tires, and/or really slick roads...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great posts and answers.

I have searched to try to figure this, my question is 'is there a way to find out if my car is shark injected'.

I have a 323i '99 recently purchased and after reading how slow they are I have been shocked a few times now.

Once i pulled out fast onto the hwy and lit up the tires through second and into third gear, then fully rotated the power tire shifting into fourth...is this normal? i never passed 5k, also i have a dinan cai and short shifter.

(Obviously I know my TC was off)

Strange question I know, but i don't want to buy some firmware that is already running. Thanks in advance.

:rofl:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I wonder what your on here for sedan. I looked at your past posts and is just condescending bs and "I like that" like everyone needs to know your opinion. This is a place for facts and questions not really opinions. I literally saw no attempt to be constructive or help anyone (not like I looked deeper than the first row of posts). Go pay someone to build your car or tell you what's wrong with it. To quote his holyness sedan "No one Gaf"

Based soley on my 323i experience... IMO if a 330 can't light up street legal tires through second, your feet are not working properly. Not like burning out is why we drive BMWs but hey.
Question is/was is there anyway I can tell if its been shark injected? W/O having to take it to the rev limit. Is there a scan tool that will do it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wide tires are great. And BMWs aren't really a burnout car IMO.

I'm not saying you can just push your gas foot down and woo tires spin. I'm not sitting here scratching my head asking 'i burned out, i must have a car that's been shark injected?' I'm just wondering if my newly purchased used car has CPU mods to go with the Dinan CAI & short shifter on it. It has alot of pep. Sorry I brought up any examples, (I learned today on e46 fanatics, the consensus is "its all the car, not the driver- st*u if you don't have a ZHP or M.")

I am asking If there is any way to tell if a CPU has been modded? As I understand the shark injector is basically just a flash drive and does not stay plugged into the vehicle after uploading. (Long shot) Maybe one of the console tests? Or a scan tool I could start looking for..

·
Registered
982 Posts
Question is/was is there anyway I can tell if its been shark injected? W/O having to take it to the rev limit. Is there a scan tool that will do it?
No, you won't be able to tell. Shark injector practically does not do much, it is just waste of money. Only way to tell is to download the software with special scan tool then experienced chip tuner to compare the factory file to yours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the answer. I didn't think there would be any easy way to tell.

Probably not going to worry about it and just leave it a mystery. But with the cai, software would be more beneficial than without a cai and vice versa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a simple way to tell... Just hookup scan tool to obd II and if it's been tuned your DME version will be a weird code, usually a bunch of numbers versus the standard v45.xx. For example

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Bavarian Autosport
262 Posts
Yes you would have to hook it up to a scan tool to tell. Although typically when someone has a shark injector installed they leave the programmer with the car. Once it's plugged into one car it only works on that exact car and it then has the stock program installed in the unit so you can swap back and forth. It's not a big gain on these cars. We tried one on the 323i we built 10 years ago and although you could tell seat of the pants it wasn't huge like a lot of the plug-in chips were on earlier cars. But it does get rid of the top speed limiter and helps with quicker throttle response and a lot of them are sold for those reasons alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts