BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am a newbe to the list. I have read post after post on my problem. Please bare with me.

Car:2001 330i

Problem: ABS, DSC and Brake lights come on randomly and brake engages. I have to pull over and restart the car to go again.

I have replaced tires and many of the front end bushings as well and got an alignment. It drives great but still has problem.

I took it to an Indie Shop - great guy, but expensive. He said that after clearing codes the one that really keeps coming back is bad Rotation Sensor. I got a quote of $1000 to replace. He also said that his hunch is the DSC module is bad as well.

Questions:
1. I cannot find rotation sensor on any of the part sites. Does anyone know how I could find this part online. Is he talking about the steering sensor that is listed on so many posts or speed sensors? I guess I could ask him. That would be too easy. Is this part replaceable by a diy'er?

2. I went to www.modulemasters.com about the DSC module. I got confused because it looked like the DSC module is the same as the ABS? Did I just get it confused or are the they same module?

3.(For Mechanics) If you are a DIY'er does you mechanic want to know this or not? Will he treat me better if he thinks I am a regular customer or not. Just curious.

4. Is there a affordable home code reader/resetter. What brand is the most commonly used by diy'ers? This should be a FAQ. :)

I appreciate any feed back.
Dan

·
Registered
801 Posts
ok...

We will uh, try...

Wheel-speed sensor. There is a rotating part and a sensor which reports to the module(s), I'd think. Check parts at RealOEM.com Sensors can get damaged or go wrong. A dealer's diagnostic could pinpoint it more precisely.
Could shotgun replace parts or aim for the individual culprit. Depends on how many bullets you are packin' I guess...

If I was a mechanic and you told me you were a DIY-er, without looking at the car, I'd say, "That's cool. No problem".
If you brought it in all screwed up from your tireless efforts, I'd have to think differently.
If you brought it in immaculate overall condition, maybe I'd offer you a job or, at least have a beer and look it over with interest.

Professional friends... a friendly relationship of any kind is better than a hostile or non-existant one. Donuts are a useful and friendly offering from time-to-time... to "grease the wheels", as it is said, eh?

Try looking thru some more DIYs for replacement of parts you are asking about. Nothing is impossible.

·
Registered
26,272 Posts
A good mechanic will appreciate a diyer I'd hope...a bad mechanic, not so much.

First, they want to take good care of their cars, whether or not they succeed...and thus there will always be something for you as diyer where you'll need a mechanic...coz you screw up...or coz you want stuff that no one else really wants but that's hard for you to do yourself.

How many Caddies owners you think are coming in saying they want new control arms or bushings replaced..they, and most others, are oil and tires...until the therm breaks...and then it's just therm replacement. A fanatic and diyer will also have car a lot longer as opposed to those who either see car as disposable and buy new every few years on a lease...or disposable who will drive it until it just doesn't run at all.

Also, if mechanic knows you're part of a community of 150K...I think that gives them a little extra incentive to earn a good name through you.

Peake code reader seems to be the reader of choice...though a good local indy might read your codes for free...I know mine does for practically everyone...whether they'll then use him for repairs or not. He has lots of guys working on their own cars and will often diagnose issue and they then do the work. Doubt that's the rule, but at least there's one shop like this!

On speed sensors...I'm not familiar with where part is or if that's even 'it' for you...but if it is, you can always save tons diying...whether or not this is a good one for you to tackle, I don't know...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool Thanks!

I will price a Peake Code Reader. I have already told both my mechanics that I try to do my own repairs.

He didn't call it a speed sensor. He called it a rotation sensor. I searched on rotation sensor and all I got was rotation rate sensor. When I search on the parts store I get Rotation sensor for the flywheel. I am not sure that would actually affect my dsc system. I just was trying to find it online.

I am still unclear weather the ABS Module and DSC module are one in the same or two separate modules. Maybe I should post this in conjunction with some of the other posts on ABS/DSC/Brake light posts. I was just afraid it would get lost in the debates.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
1st Welcome to the Club!

2nd, If you have the tools: floor jack, jack stands, wheel chucks, & metric socket set - jack up your ride and remove your wheels (start with the rears then fronts). Carefully check your brake rotors for warpage and have a friend to depress the brakes while you spin them to see if your brake calipers proper engage and release. If there is any abnormal binding, that could be what's causing your ABS/DSC/Brake light warning issues. While you're there check your brake pads too > Look for even wear, if not then that could be an indication of fail in the caliber piston.

Another simple cause could be just air pockets in your brake lines. Try bleeding your brakes.

- I guess I should make a DIY Vid on that. But, in the mean time... just use the Search > DIY Brake Bleed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks BimmerGarage. I did just replace the pads. My wife said that the problem existed before I replaced the breaks. I didn't notice any unusual wear on the breaks but that doesn't mean anything. Bleeding breaks is something I know how to do. I haven't had to bleed break in a really long time. Is there anything special for bmw's?

This said... I found a good DIY on my lights.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4205801&postcount=48

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Here are the buttons/sensors used by the DSC Module-

ASC / DSC Button
Brake Fluid (sensor in brake fluid cap - check the fluid level)
Brake Light Switch
Brake Circuit Pressure 1
Brake Circuit Pressure 2
Rotating Speed (YAW sensor under the drivers seat)
Transversal Acceleration (acceleration sensor under left foot well trim)
Wheel Speed - Front Left
Wheel Speed - Front Right
Wheel Speed - Rear Left
Wheel Speed - Rear Right

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awe so that is the rotation sensor. I have seen Yaw sensor all over the list but not the rotation sensor.

Thanks Shanneba

1 - 8 of 8 Posts