BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at wal-mart looking for some fake spinners for my truck (its homecoming week and we have bling-bling day) and I was looking for some fog bulbs b/c I just put my stock ones back in and hate them. I've seen the commercials for silverstars and they look pretty good. Yeah, they arent. Waste of $40 and 20 minutes. DONT DO IT. They are whiter than stock, but still look yellow next to any xenon. Sorry, no pics for right now.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cecil328i said:
hmm thought about getting these once, gracias por el informaciones senor.
I've had 3 yrs of spanish but dont remember enough of it to type this in spanish.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Que lastima mi amigo, porque no lo devuelvas ??

Translation: What a shame, why dont you return them ??

:)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
cowmoo32 said:
They are whiter than stock, but still look yellow next to any xenon.
That sounds reasonable for a super white halogen (and the price). The problem is that you actually expected them to light up like HID's.

·
Banned
56 Posts
jlevi said:
No need - I already tried :(

JL
That picture makes no sense. You are comparing a halogen bulb to a 6000k HID bulb? What for?

A better pic would be a 4300k and 6000k head on, or 4300k and "xenon look" bulbs head on; Simply because there is no way a blue coated halogen bulb will look close to 6000k, (one exception, PIAA 7500k spark blue bulbs are pretty colorful, but I haven't seen them side to side)

6000k HID's will make even 4300k (stock temp) Hids look pale.

From my experience with 'xenon' look bulbs, they can match up pretty nicely (depending on the brand of bulb, BTW: APC Bulbs SUCK) to stock xenons, sure you won't get the light output of a true HID kit, but how often do you need that extra blinding light anways?

Now if you had some 6000k in the headlights, then the best way to get the fogs to look similar is buy getting an 6000k HID kit for the fogs. Or try the 7500k PIAA's.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,756 Posts
Basically that picture shows that the color matchup on a "xenon-look" bulb is really terrible. I think it's a given that the light output won't match up. :dunno:

JL

·
Banned
56 Posts
jlevi said:
Basically that picture shows that the color matchup on a "xenon-look" bulb is really terrible. I think it's a given that the light output won't match up. :dunno:

JL
I'm not sure if you read correctly, but I said that comparison is not a good on because even 4300k xenons will look pale compared to 6000k. A GOOD comparasion pic would be 4300k xenons compared to the "xenon-look" bulb. A xenon look bulb will never have the intense color a HID kit will have. But compare the prices, 30-50 bucks, sometimes 80 => 300-500 for a hid kit. 10 times the price :yikes:

Guess it was just a marketing gimic that I didn't fall for. :shhh:

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
hmmm

Jlevi: those seem a bit purple, wouldnt it be better to match the phosphyres a bit more?

the xenon look might not be so electric, but its blending better and not calling that much attention and not taking away from the angels and the overall.... maybe the picture is making them look purple?

unless you were going for that look? then ill just shut up...>LOLOLOLOL

:thumbup:

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I expected them to light up like the SPP bulbs. I wasnt expecting brightness, just good color.

Jlevi, if I had the money, I would have those fogs

And I will return these, I made sure that I could before I bought them.

·
Masterdebator
1,669 Posts
what do you expect from a product that is aimed at the suburban white male trying to get into the street racing culture

·
Banned
56 Posts
You guys are not giving these bulbs the credit it deserves. They are good for the money, that is if you are not only worried about color, but light output.

These bulbs have more light output than stock and they're a lot more whiter than stock, something that isn't common amoung other blue coated bulbs.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TuRBoIS300 said:
You guys are not giving these bulbs the credit it deserves. They are good for the money, that is if you are not only worried about color, but light output.

These bulbs have more light output than stock and they're a lot more whiter than stock, something that isn't common amoung other blue coated bulbs.
True, but they still arent as white as the SPP bulbs. But they are brighter.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You all know that bluer/purpler fogs are a bad idea for actually "seeing" through fog right? I'll be the first to admit that HID fogs LOOK cool, but they are the worst type of bulb for cutting through fog. The reason is simple science. Blue and purple have the shortest wavelength of any visible light. This means they scatter very easily. Next time you are out, look for blue neon signs. Notice how the edges are kinda fuzzy? That's the light scattering making it harder to see the lettering of the sign. Now, shine a blue light into water droplets or snowflakes and it will scatter really bad. The best color to use in this case would be yellow. It has a higher wavelength and will resist scatter. This is why they sell yellow fog lights. Now our Xenon lowbeams are projector style lights which compensate somewhat for the scatter of blue/purple light... Also, stock Xenons are 4300K, which is much closer yellow light than 6000K light. This is why 4300K lights appear brighter than 6000K... aside from them putting out less light, they also scatter more. It is also why manufacturers use a "yellower" Xenon. As long as you guys know these HID fogs are really about looks more than anything, that's cool... just wanted to make sure people got the heads up about this stuff. For more info on headlight/foglight technology... check out Daniel Stern's lighting guide. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ He's been testing headlights for years.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I should also add, on the opposite end of the spectrum (no pun intened) we have infrared light. It's great at cutting right through fog... we just can't see it at all! This is why Cadillac has fitted some of it's cars with an infrared heads up display. It can see right through rain and fog like they wern't even there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
drevilkep said:
I should also add, on the opposite end of the spectrum (no pun intened) we have infrared light. It's great at cutting right through fog... we just can't see it at all! This is why Cadillac has fitted some of it's cars with an infrared heads up display. It can see right through rain and fog like they wern't even there.
Very good explanation(s). It seems most folks are just out for the "look". I'm running fogs that match the xenon's. Even thought the light appears brighter to match the xenon's, the light output is less. I was hesitant to put these in worrying that the light output wouldn't be sufficient, but it is hardly noticeable. I definitely wouldn't put these in my main beams though. I also have the yellow-ion's for high beams and they work great.

FYI...there is a GB on AdvancedOptik H7/9006 & SiverVision bulbs:

http://www.my330i.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2413
or
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255303

1 - 20 of 20 Posts