BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I recently got my rear-ended bumper repaired and repainted by a dealer recommended shop. This is a shop that fixes all of a local BMW dealer's vehicles, specializes in BMW, uses Sikkens paint, and Akzo Nobel paint matching.

So I get my car back, and now the bumper looks slightly lighter and a bit more bluish hue than the body panels -- it seems to be missing the tiny bit of copperish tone that the silver gray body panels have. I notice the color difference most when I look at the car from a straight side profile.

The rep told me (i) they only painted the small dinged portion in the middle-rear of the bumper so the sides should be the same as they were before; and (ii) painted plastic bumpers always look a little different from painted metal panels.

I swear the paint is off, and it is bugging me. I never noticed an issue before this incident. I keep looking at the front bumper to compare, and can't come to a conclusion. Has anyone run into this color matching issue? Does anyone else notice that their silver gray bumpers are slightly different in color than the body? I did a search and didn't come up with much. I will try to take some pics. Grrrr, this is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a door skin replaced and repainted and under most conditions it matches perfectly. Under some lighting conditions it is off by 1 shade maybe 2. It is driving me a bit crazy too. They also did a spot repair (A few square inches at most that is indistinguishable from the surrounding paint. The only thing I can think of is they sprayed the paint in a different direction. Up and down and the original paint was sprayed side to side or vice versa.

2004 330Ci Silver Grey Metallic 6 Spd.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Sounds like the shop did some shoddy work. A good painter would a) get it right and b) if he did mess it up a little, realize it and redo it. At the end of the day, it is their name on it and you will never recommend them to anyone ... and might go so far as to dissuade people from using them. If they do not realize that then they obviously do not care about their work. Plastic always being 'a little off' is garbage. They matched to begin with, so that doesn't fly, and plenty have been blended appropriately.

Did they warranty the work? Most good shops do, and often the the insurance company guarantees it as well.

·
Registered
736 Posts
i work with toyota and the bumpers never match the car (seriously look at every toyota you see)

however i drive a bmw and :thumbsup: the bumpers are spot on

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
someone hit the front of the car and ripped a hole in my bumper so i bought a new one and gave it to the shop. they took the paint code and painted it. matched exactly. so he couldnt have matched it to the car because i had it. my car is a 2000 323i orient blue. and it got painted in 2007 so i would guess a darker color would lose its color before a lighter one. so he must have not gotten the paint code right or something.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i work with toyota and the bumpers never match the car (seriously look at every toyota you see)

however i drive a bmw and :thumbsup: the bumpers are spot on
That is interesting. I actually just looked at a Camry outside and kind of noticed the same thing. I had a 1994 Lexus GS 300 and the match was perfect. Perhaps that Toyota product was painted to a higher standard?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
someone hit the front of the car and ripped a hole in my bumper so i bought a new one and gave it to the shop. they took the paint code and painted it. matched exactly. so he couldnt have matched it to the car because i had it. my car is a 2000 323i orient blue. and it got painted in 2007 so i would guess a darker color would lose its color before a lighter one. so he must have not gotten the paint code right or something.
There were also different "blends" for some of the colors, which complicates the matter even more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for everyone's input. Here are some bad night pics. But you can see the back bumper is a different shade from the front bumper. Front is darker, and more copperish, which appears to match slightly better in daylight. Rear is slightly bluish.

Also, I happened to see a silver gray m3 parked in my garage. Looking at that bumper, it looked much darker than the body panels on that particular car. Color shades seem to vary quite a bit on silver gray.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Ok, so I recently got my rear-ended bumper repaired and repainted by a dealer recommended shop. This is a shop that fixes all of a local BMW dealer's vehicles, specializes in BMW, uses Sikkens paint, and Akzo Nobel paint matching.

So I get my car back, and now the bumper looks slightly lighter and a bit more bluish hue than the body panels -- it seems to be missing the tiny bit of copperish tone that the silver gray body panels have. I notice the color difference most when I look at the car from a straight side profile.

The rep told me (i) they only painted the small dinged portion in the middle-rear of the bumper so the sides should be the same as they were before; and (ii) painted plastic bumpers always look a little different from painted metal panels.

I swear the paint is off, and it is bugging me. I never noticed an issue before this incident. I keep looking at the front bumper to compare, and can't come to a conclusion. Has anyone run into this color matching issue? Does anyone else notice that their silver gray bumpers are slightly different in color than the body? I did a search and didn't come up with much. I will try to take some pics. Grrrr, this is driving me crazy.
That is true.Sometimes, even the clear coat can make the paint look a bit off.
Clear coat can some times have a yellowish hue to it,especially Sikkens.The last shop I worked at (we did all of our local BMW dealers work), used Sikkens and changed to Standox for this very reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts