BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The headlight lens does indeed make a difference. I had one lens off and another one on and there's a difference between the light output and colors shown. Sanding and polishing won't be as effective as new lenses because the lens gets internally yellowed

I have a facelift coupe so i cant just purchase lens.

Here is a pic of both lights where u can see the light mark on the lens. But on the driver side its there slightly with the xenon off. Hard to see but its there on the driver side and not passenger side which has better output.
IMG_7684.jpg IMG_7685.jpg IMG_7689.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I have a facelift coupe so i cant just purchase lens.

Here is a pic of both lights where u can see the light mark on the lens. But on the driver side its there slightly with the xenon off. Hard to see but its there on the driver side and not passenger side which has better output.
View attachment 744562 View attachment 744564 View attachment 744566

In your other thread somebody linked the lens. The website was bimmerjakes iirc. Another person recommended it on another thread as well

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
In your other thread somebody linked the lens. The website was bimmerjakes iirc. Another person recommended it on another thread as well

Right.. but those are most likely used that have been sanded and polished to like new. There is no part number to order them from BMW directly. Im not sure what brand they are or the quality they are from Bimmerjakes. I dont believe you can fix the light mark that has been etched to the glass.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Right.. but those are most likely used that have been sanded and polished to like new. There is no part number to order them from BMW directly. Im not sure what brand they are or the quality they are from Bimmerjakes. I dont believe you can fix the light mark that has been etched to the glass.

Although I'm not 100% supportive of the claims on any website, it does say "new product"
https://www.bimmerjakes.com/en/home/3-bmw-3-series-e46-coupecabrio-facelift-new-headlight-lens-plastic-cover.html

·
Registered
32,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
After playing with it some more im thinking the headlight lens is diminishing the output. I sanded and polished them clear again but i bought these lights as spares and it looks like the lens has that frosted burn/etch from aftermarket bulbs that owner used. Im gonna sand and polish my lens from my old headlight that never saw aftermarket bulbs and see if that clears it up.

That ground wire didnt change the output but i should still connect it.

Also the bowls and projector lens can get pretty dirty/dusty as well. If he was using aftermarket bulbs it can also dull the chrome coating of the projectors even though they are metal.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Also the bowls and projector lens can get pretty dirty/dusty as well. If he was using aftermarket bulbs it can also dull the chrome coating of the projectors even though they are metal.

These are brand new G5-R projectors i retrofitted to my adaptive lights. So the bowls shouldnt be an issue. I will have to post a pic of the difference when it gets dark. I will swap my other lens tommorow after i sand and polish them.

·
Registered
32,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
These are brand new G5-R projectors i retrofitted to my adaptive lights. So the bowls shouldnt be an issue. I will have to post a pic of the difference when it gets dark. I will swap my other lens tommorow after i sand and polish them.

oh yeah, I forgot that. I think I got you confused with someone else LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you talking about the source? It's connected to the LCM. You will have to look at the wiring diagram to figure out which pin it is.
Thanks. I traced my problem to a faulty LCM. I picked up a used replacement which solved the blinker problem, but now the headlights don't work. Now, trying to get a scanner cable to work with PA Soft so I can reprogram it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
one yellow xenon

My passenger side headlight powers on white then after about 3 seconds goes yellow replaced both headlight with oem bulbs and ballast . Anyone ever seen this BMW has no clue . Thank Anyone .

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My passenger side headlight powers on white then after about 3 seconds goes yellow replaced both headlight with oem bulbs and ballast . Anyone ever seen this BMW has no clue . Thank Anyone .

What kind of car? If it has zkw projectors the bowls are probably burned. If you do i have some bosch projectors for sale to fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

Lets keep the topic in the thread. No need for PM’s. If its not the bulbs or ballast it is most likely the projectors. If you have a 02 model they are probably ZKW bowls. The bulbs will be white as soon as you turn them on because they need to warm up to get to temp.

It may be the ignitor. I can sell you a pair of bosch projectors with ignitors and bulb holders.

If the bulbs are truly new and good brand bulbs the projectors should fix this.

·
Registered
32,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
Do you have pictures? What happens if you plug the entire headlight unit on the driver's side?

Lets keep the topic in the thread. No need for PM’s. If its not the bulbs or ballast it is most likely the projectors. If you have a 02 model they are probably ZKW bowls. The bulbs will be white as soon as you turn them on because they need to warm up to get to temp.

It may be the ignitor. I can sell you a pair of bosch projectors with ignitors and bulb holders.

If the bulbs are truly new and good brand bulbs the projectors should fix this.

It shows that he has an 02 coupe so he wouldn't have zkw.

·
Registered
150 Posts
thought I'd spread the word on an issue I have. It's reoccurring and it's probably caused me so much hassle that I may never get a bmw again, lol. I have the bi-xenon adapter lights. my lights flicker all the time and will some times just shut off. They flicker a lot if i go over bumps. Turns out that BMW put very poor quality wiring inside the headlight unit, and on top of that zip tied the wires together so tightly that the wires started to tear as they became more brittle. I've soldered ~5 wires back together. It's happened in both the left and right headlight units.

It's very challenging to solder these wires because there is very little room for your hands. You risk damaging the other cables as well. Of course, BMW's only option to fix them is to replace the whole unit.

·
Registered
32,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
thought I'd spread the word on an issue I have. It's reoccurring and it's probably caused me so much hassle that I may never get a bmw again, lol. I have the bi-xenon adapter lights. my lights flicker all the time and will some times just shut off. They flicker a lot if i go over bumps. Turns out that BMW put very poor quality wiring inside the headlight unit, and on top of that zip tied the wires together so tightly that the wires started to tear as they became more brittle. I've soldered ~5 wires back together. It's happened in both the left and right headlight units.

It's very challenging to solder these wires because there is very little room for your hands. You risk damaging the other cables as well. Of course, BMW's only option to fix them is to replace the whole unit.
Yeah that is a common problem with the facelift coupe headlights. I have that problem too, but I haven't done anything about it cause lazy :rofl:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

I soldered in all new silicone wire on my lights and did a g5-r retrofit. The wiring is easy to do just time consuming.

·
Registered
7 Posts
weird hid flicker problem

Hi guys,
I have an 01 M3 with pre-facelift single xenon setup, all OE BMW. I also have aftermarket LED tail lights, just as an FYI. I have not check for the brown ground wire problem yet.

My issues: one or both of my HIDs flickers and sometimes the right, left, or both bulbs will go out completely when driving. It seems to happen more when hitting bumps, but not always. so far, shutting the lights off and turning them back on solves the problem. The HIDs light right back up. Then, intermittently, they will do the same thing.

Any ideas for troubleshooting? I do have aftermarket bulbs, but this issue just started. The bulbs have been in the car for months.

I think I kept the original osram bulbs, which I'm guess I should try to swap in first as a test.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi guys,

I have an 01 M3 with pre-facelift single xenon setup, all OE BMW. I also have aftermarket LED tail lights, just as an FYI. I have not check for the brown ground wire problem yet.

My issues: one or both of my HIDs flickers and sometimes the right, left, or both bulbs will go out completely when driving. It seems to happen more when hitting bumps, but not always. so far, shutting the lights off and turning them back on solves the problem. The HIDs light right back up. Then, intermittently, they will do the same thing.

Any ideas for troubleshooting? I do have aftermarket bulbs, but this issue just started. The bulbs have been in the car for months.

I think I kept the original osram bulbs, which I'm guess I should try to swap in first as a test.
My original osram xenons seemed weak. I bought some xenons off khoalty and tried a swap. Didnt seem to make a difference in output but i left them in. Months later one of them cooked my igniter at the interface socket.. not saying it was the bulb but... i wound up damaging my assembly trying to get where i could replace the igniter so be careful. 2000 328ci w bosch xenon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Hi guys,

Yeah I would go through the troubleshooting steps I outlined. If everything is original, that's pretty old. You probably need new bulbs regardless if that is the issue or not. I would try not flip them on/off quickly, it'll just damage the other components more.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts