E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
hey I've been trying to find the wiring harness but none of the dealers here have them in stock...none of the online shops seem to carry it either. anyway if you can show me how you fixed your problem I would appreciate that alot!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
hey I've been trying to find the wiring harness but none of the dealers here have them in stock...none of the online shops seem to carry it either. anyway if you can show me how you fixed your problem I would appreciate that alot!
I took an old plastic credit card (actually a rewards card), and using a single-blade razor (X-acto knife would be handier) I cut out the the shape of two prongs (connected at one end) with dimensions the same as the two broken stubs. Then glued it the front face of the two stubs. Next I enlarged a part of the hole in the main body of the connecter where you insert the teeth of the locking tab, in order to accomodate the new plastic piece. finally i inserted the fixed locking tab, and voila!, the new prongs operate to remove the short circuit when the connector is seated in the airbag socket.

I was then able to reset the SRS light.. Finally! I haven't had time to post the picture of the modified locking tab, but will do so soon.

Again, this is a solution that worked for me. If you're not sure about what you're doing, I suggest you get the door harness from the dealership.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
photos of how I fixed the broken prongs/teeth

Here are some pics of how I fixed the broken prongs/teeth by cutting a piece of plastic from an old Vons rewards card.

I glued it to the front side of the broken stubs, i.e. the side facing the short circuit bar (found in the airbag connector socket).

it's amazing how such a simple, no-cost solution is so effective in properly controlling airbag deployment.

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took a slightly different approach but this worked for me as well. Outstanding investigative problem solving patdosa, I love no-parts workarounds!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Side Airbag Connector - DON'T BREAK IT!

A lot of us have broken this Connector. As others have illustrated, the design is a safety feature... but when you have an Airbag tied with a rope while you change a regulator, its hard to figure out the clasping mechanism.

Attached is a pdf from BMW that demonstrates the latching mechanism.

I still have not found a part number for the connector, pigtail, or wire harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rear Airbag Connector - E46 2001 330i

I still have not found a part number for the connector, pigtail, or wire harness.[/QUOTE]

Hello:

Another lesson for me from BMW. I went to 2 different stores today. The first store continued my research and found the attached illustration of possible pigtails for Airbag connectivity.

However, the illustrations are so elementary that it is truly a pain to identify the correct one. I guessed that #8 was the right one by its general appearance. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/cursin.gif BUT (unbelievable) the guy wouldn't get it for me because it was not referenced against my VIN number!!!!

I went to a second BMW store, went through the same exercise, then the guy was so curious that he pulled the part and low and behold it's the right one. The part number is: 61 12 9 118 135

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Still have the same Error Code 08

UPDATE:

I took the door apart one more time... with the express intent to change the connector on the airbag. After I disconnected the connector I decided to perform a good visual and electrical inspection. The connector is rock solid, all indents and locks are in place and all electrical connectors are clean. As a result, I chickened-out from splicing in the new pigtail, not trying to save the $38, but rather trying to save the splice.

Anybody have other ideas as to what can cause the Code 08 failure?

I just had a thought, when the error page displays in the P.A.Soft software, it always shows a Date of 8/1. Which I do believe is the date that I changed my window regulator and caused the error. The thought I am having is that the P.A. Soft device is not resetting the controller, only clearing the error bit. Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
That's the PART!!

Thanks to peddlerp, I ordered this replacement wiring from ecstuning and they arrived exactly the same as the one broken on my car. Except that the color of the wiring is different:p. I was able to pull off the plastic connector head from the new set of wiring and put it on my old wiring, with the experience provided by guys above and some patience. No splice, no glue, everything just went together perfectly as new! Before this I got a "resistance too small" error message from the airbag system through INPA, which means that the short-circuit clip was not in place (it was blown away during the deployment, I think). Now everything is in place, but I haven't got time to actually put the airbag back online yet. Will test it tomorrow and report the final results.

I still have not found a part number for the connector, pigtail, or wire harness.
Hello:

Another lesson for me from BMW. I went to 2 different stores today. The first store continued my research and found the attached illustration of possible pigtails for Airbag connectivity.

However, the illustrations are so elementary that it is truly a pain to identify the correct one. I guessed that #8 was the right one by its general appearance. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/cursin.gif BUT (unbelievable) the guy wouldn't get it for me because it was not referenced against my VIN number!!!!

I went to a second BMW store, went through the same exercise, then the guy was so curious that he pulled the part and low and behold it's the right one. The part number is: 61 12 9 118 135[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad to hear...

I'm glad to hear you were successful in replacing the connector. I'm anxious to learn if the Airbag comes online properly!

Good luck!

Thanks to peddlerp, I ordered this replacement wiring from ecstuning and they arrived exactly the same as the one broken on my car. Except that the color of the wiring is different:p. I was able to pull off the plastic connector head from the new set of wiring and put it on my old wiring, with the experience provided by guys above and some patience. No splice, no glue, everything just went together perfectly as new! Before this I got a "resistance too small" error message from the airbag system through INPA, which means that the short-circuit clip was not in place (it was blown away during the deployment, I think). Now everything is in place, but I haven't got time to actually put the airbag back online yet. Will test it tomorrow and report the final results.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hello everyone, especially peddlerp, I successfully put the side airbag online today. After clearing the fault memory in the airbag module using INPA, the airbag light on the dash started to flash, then I re-read the faulty memory and it showed empty. Then I just started the engine and in a few seconds the flashing airbag light went away. Hooray!! That's it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here are some pics of how I fixed the broken prongs/teeth by cutting a piece of plastic from an old Vons rewards card.

I glued it to the front side of the broken stubs, i.e. the side facing the short circuit bar (found in the airbag connector socket).

it's amazing how such a simple, no-cost solution is so effective in properly controlling airbag deployment.

View attachment 319793

View attachment 319794

View attachment 319795

View attachment 319796
Thanks for the diy, this repair worked on a 2006 X5 driver side door airbag. Too bad I bought another airbag before I figured this out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, thanks to all of youse and especially to Patdosa for this write-up. I was able to fix my driver's side connector whose prongs I broke. I used the trick with the used credit card, glued new prongs onto the thing. I was able to clear the error code after that. No need to buy a new connector nor a new harness.
X5 E53 2004.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is great stuff! Thank you for taking the time and taking photos OP. I recently replaced a window regulator on the passenger side and I was extreamly careful with everything. I made sure that the ignition was never switched on while the air bag was disconnected, but when it was all set and done I got the dreadful airbag light. I actually stumbled across this thread about 2 days ago, but didn't think I had any problem with the locking clip after all I never removed the clip from the actual connector, I properly disconnected it.

Fast forward to today I decided to take a look at it again and removed the locking clip, the two long prong looked short just like in the picture, but the way this clip looked.. it looks as if it was designed this way from factory, I mean I couldn't not see any indication that this thing has been broken off. I still had doubts if this was really good to fix my issue, because one this was a 2002 330Ci I figured my clip was designed differently, I just gave it a short and half assed with the credit fix, basically I just cut it small enough to make sure that it blocks the + - on the connector itself didn't even bother gluing it because I couldn't find any ( if you remove the locking clip and look at the actually connector you will see the two medal pin that the OP is referring to )

I reconnected my battery and grabbed my iCarsoft tool

It picked up a False lamp code which I wasn't getting before, cleared it. Now I'm back with the 04 Airbag, passenger, front right message. Cleared it and voilà! That fixed the issue!

I made an account just to make sure people know that this will definately work on an 2002 330CI, if you didn't have the airbag light on before, but got it after replacing the window regulator. I suggest you check this connector

·
Registered
2 Posts
SRS connector' legs solution?

Hi,

I had the same accident ( broken legs of srs plug) and was in a hurry. I simply cut two small pieces of credit card, pushed in and than reassembled everything.
SRS light is on, I will try to reset it tomorrow with a friend's help.
Do you think it will work this way?

Thanks,

Ricsko

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry if this sounds stupid but if I get connector from donor car and solder new one to harness will this work also? Thanks

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Sorry if this sounds stupid but if I get connector from donor car and solder new one to harness will this work also? Thanks
Yup. That's what I did for mine

21 - 40 of 45 Posts