BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been discussed but I still can't reset my Oil Service counter. Right now it is sitting at -2550.
I have a 1999 BMW 323i. I took delivery in December 11, 1998 so its one of the first runs in the new E46 style.
It has a 20 pin connector under the hood but when I try to reset it by shorting pins 7 & 19 it won't reset.
So then I tryed to use the reset procedure through the instrument cluster. When I hold down my trip reset and turn the ignition to ACC, I get "test". I go to number 19 to unlock all features and then I don't know what to do. Some posts say that you should get "reset" when you hold down the trip reset and turn the key to the ACC position. I can't get "reset" to come up.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Unregistered User
446 Posts
JohnnyBoy said:
I thought this forum is suppost to help people?
it's not. they only reply if it's some cosmetic modification related question or 'take a look at my new bodykit' posts. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Matthew78 said:

it's not. they only reply if it's some cosmetic modification related question or 'take a look at my new bodykit' posts. :D
That's funny. There's that crowd here for sure.

I don't know how to reset it though, if the acc key and button holding don't work.

I can check my Bently manual for you later, but I believe that you've done what it says. Maybe my '01 330ci works differently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya. I'm also on the alcova Hummer H2 forum and those guys are great for all kinds of info.
Check your manual if you don't mind and let me know what it says. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
JohnnyBoy, I got my Inspection light on on my 99 328. I just short pin 7 and 19 for 11 seconds and it went away. Now I have oil service at 15250, ain't that great :)
You should be able to reset it using any cable. I used a composite cable. I thought it would fit the ODB pin, but it won't LOL.
Here are the steps:
1. Turn your ignition key to position 2. Key in is position 0, one turn is pos 1 (with a few lights on), 1 more turn is pos 2 (AC, radio, and all the lights are on, beeps if you don't wear the seatbelt).
2. Short pin 7 and 19 (for your case - oil change - it's 4 seconds).

That's it, turn off the key and turn it in back on, and viola!!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
507 Posts
JohnnyBoy said:
I thought this forum is suppost to help people?
This worked for me....

"To reset the service interval: press and hold the trip odometer button AND turn the ignition key to the accessory position. Keep the button pressed for ~ 5 more seconds until any of the following words appear in the display: “oil service” or “inspection”, in with “reset” or “re”. Press the button again and hold for ~5 seconds until the words “reset” or “re” flash. While the display is flashing, press the button briefly to reset the service interval. After the display has shown the new interval, the following will appear in the display for ~2 seconds: “end SAI”. The system can only be reset again after the vehicle has be driven for ~ 50-75 miles."

Edit -

·
Banned
2,186 Posts
beemwe said:
JohnnyBoy, I got my Inspection light on on my 99 328. I just short pin 7 and 19 for 11 seconds and it went away. Now I have oil service at 15250, ain't that great :)
You should be able to reset it using any cable. I used a composite cable. I thought it would fit the ODB pin, but it won't LOL.
Here are the steps:
1. Turn your ignition key to position 2. Key in is position 0, one turn is pos 1 (with a few lights on), 1 more turn is pos 2 (AC, radio, and all the lights are on, beeps if you don't wear the seatbelt).
2. Short pin 7 and 19 (for your case - oil change - it's 4 seconds).

That's it, turn off the key and turn it in back on, and viola!!

Hope this helps.

I just tried this and it doesn't seem to work for me. :(

Rich

·
Beware of pwner
1,758 Posts
Jano said:

This worked for me....

"To reset the service interval: press and hold the trip odometer button AND turn the ignition key to the accessory position. Keep the button pressed for ~ 5 more seconds until any of the following words appear in the display: “oil service” or “inspection”, in with “reset” or “re”. Press the button again and hold for ~5 seconds until the words “reset” or “re” flash. While the display is flashing, press the button briefly to reset the service interval. After the display has shown the new interval, the following will appear in the display for ~2 seconds: “end SAI”. The system can only be reset again after the vehicle has be driven for ~ 50-75 miles."

Edit -
This worked for me too. :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,186 Posts
<H1>SUCCESS!!!</H1>

It finally worked. This time I shorted PIN 7 to a nearby grounding point (a bolt next to the Diagnostic Port). I shorted it for ~3 seconds and it worked. Now it says 15,250 miles (b4 it said -5,600).

My next question... It also says INSPECTION when I turn the car on... does that mean I'm due for Inspection 1?

Rich

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,502 Posts
Jano said:

This worked for me....

Edit -
That works for me, I just test it for srcstc on my car....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I know I posted the info and someone else did. There is a link to a web site that tells you how to do this SO......

:search:

JohnnyBoy said:
I know this topic has been discussed but I still can't reset my Oil Service counter. Right now it is sitting at -2550.
I have a 1999 BMW 323i. I took delivery in December 11, 1998 so its one of the first runs in the new E46 style.
It has a 20 pin connector under the hood but when I try to reset it by shorting pins 7 & 19 it won't reset.
So then I tryed to use the reset procedure through the instrument cluster. When I hold down my trip reset and turn the ignition to ACC, I get "test". I go to number 19 to unlock all features and then I don't know what to do. Some posts say that you should get "reset" when you hold down the trip reset and turn the key to the ACC position. I can't get "reset" to come up.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts