BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The audi has better content (for me personally) Onstar/XM phatbox, screenless NAV and is cheaper. The interior is the best in the biz and I think the ins. rates are cheaper but I have yet to check.

M3, well, probably a funner car to drive, SMG kicks ass, car is better looking and I like the color combos better. I can get a deal on an M3 so price is probably even with S4.

Personally I like the most visceral driving experience I can get, the other attributes I consider are connectivity to the road, engine noise, comfort, features and curb appeal and availability of aftermarket mods.

I should also mention that I have not ruled out a 996 C2.

Anyone else cross shop these bad boys. And please don't start bashing on Audi, BMW has some warts to. TIA to anyone who can give me any objective opinions.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Douge said:
The audi has better content (for me personally) Onstar/XM phatbox, screenless NAV and is cheaper. The interior is the best in the biz and I think the ins. rates are cheaper but I have yet to check.

M3, well, probably a funner <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="background-color: #f0f000; " HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> to drive, SMG kicks ass, car is better looking and I like the color combos better. I can get a deal on an M3 so price is probably even with S4.

Personally I like the most visceral driving experience I can get, the other attributes I consider are connectivity to the road, engine noise, comfort, features and curb appeal and availability of aftermarket mods.

I should also mention that I have not ruled out a 996 C2.

Anyone else cross shop these bad boys. And please don't start bashing on Audi, BMW has some warts to. TIA to anyone who can give me any objective opinions.
I was in a similar boat. It became a 2door vs 4door debate for me pretty much, you really can't go wrong with either car, I find them both great looking in design and similar performers.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Looks: M3 (IMO)

Safety: S4 (awd)

Performance: M3 (handling)

Interior: tie

Audi has the best interiors but the difference is minute & subtle. Notice how the mags all say Audi interiors are excellent, & don't really talk about the BMW interior much yet give them the same ratings.

It is because the difference isn't that much, but they have to emphasize the Audi interior in the review so there's more differentiation between the cars.

Consumer Reports
fit & finish; excellent (A4 & 3-Series)

Edmunds
interior materials; 10.0 & 9.4 (A4 & 3-Series)
build quality; 10.0 (A4 & 3-Series)

I'd get the M3.

·
Read Only
1,859 Posts
If you want an all out driving experience, go for the porsche...
IMO, I'd get the M3, just because I like it better, and modded ones are :drool:... The S4 is nice, but I wish it was still a tt... I just feel like it lost something when it went to a V8... It's still a beast, but damn it, I want my turbo lag...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've got real questions about the Audi's electrical system reliability issues - I've got a 2003 Audi A4 in my lot right now that, at 8 k, is showing signs of electrical malfunctions.

The motor's making some very odd noises, too, sounds like I've never heard an engine make (except for a couple that were about to go BOOM). I think that these noises are some sort of cold-start solinoid doing it's dance under the hood (I hope so, anyhow).

Audi has apparently really had some difficulties making electrical systems work properly for the life of the car.

Compare that to the number and severity of BMW weaknesses, and I'm not sure there's much difference between the two, but I still would vote for the M3, as BMW seems to have made at least a half-grassed effort to iron out their problems.

·
Registered
874 Posts
dude, no question. Get the Porsche. They are the most bad ass cars. I drove my friends GT2 about two weeks ago. All i have to say in Holly sht. when you launch it at like 3000 RPM's it is hard to get yourr hand to the shifter. In 5th Gear at about 70 you can get to 110 in a short time (not sure exact time). get the porsche, they drive so well.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Porche is always better!

M3 has too many reliability issues with the 3.2L. If I were getting an M3 I would wait for the V8 one.

I think I would go for the 2004 S4. ALthough I would have to test drive the M and the Audi back to back.

It has a powerful and smooth V8, Quattro (all year round car), better interior and I love the 4 door feature :D
I feel so much more comfortable in a 4 door than a 2 door. I am single and have no kids and I would still prefer 4 over 2 doors for a bimmer or audi.

Oh hell with both the M and S4, just get the 330i ZHP and you'll have all the power, performance and practicality you will EVER need. And it still a BMW and not a VW.

Confused yet :D

·
Mod Squad
12,643 Posts
I dunno I'm a pretty much BMW faithful, so my nod is to the M3. I'm just wondering how you managed to go from a Nissan Sentra to shopping for M3's/S4's and Porsche's? What's your secret? :D

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Porsche - you just got the wrong body style.

Just say no to water-cooled P-Cars. Use your money to buy a 993 (any) then sign up for a couple DEs and see what the real driving experience is all about. Too many people buy sports cars and the sportiest thing they do with them is haul back some new sneakers from Sports Authority (not that I'd buy sneakers there, but you get ther idea).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok I realize that Porsches are awesome but im probably going to get an M3 soon and....... wtf is with everyone slamming the M3 :sad: :ben:

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
:)

i really like the e46 look, so i choose the m3.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to admit that I am partial to the M3. The Audi is hot but I like it for non sporting reasons like creature comforts and features and the possibility of cheaper insurance.

The reason I am driving a Sentra has been a long list of sports cars and sport bikes that lead to driving survival school and two years of probation in which any ticket would have lead to an automatic 6 month suspension and the probation period starting over. The Sentra has been fun, I actually blew the motor on it once. :D I drive my wifes Mercedes once in awhile to keep my ego from melting down.

My wife says Porsche but in truth the M3 is just as fast and turns in lap times on par with a 996. Other than the kick ass street cred of the Porsche I don't really want to spend another 15-20K just to stroke my ego. I should probably save that purchase for a mid life crisis and anyway, you know the Porsche is gonna have some issues and the dealer is 40 miles away.

I like hearing what you guys think, thanks for responding.

·
Imported Redneck
873 Posts
i'm a bimmer guy, so it would have to take a much more superior audi to beat out an M3, esp. when we're talking that much money for an audi

1 - 20 of 59 Posts