E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,main pump was leaking ,replaced it and disconnected power to headlight pump as I dont drive it in winter ,and barely rain

So,fluid leaking out by headlight ,I can't be bothered to dig into it since I dont use them

Disconnected hose at pump ,steady stream

So ,I ordered a vinyl Bleeder screw type cap ,if that doesn't work I'll apoxy in a bolt or something

Should fluid flow thru the pump if not powered?

Wondering if replacing pump would solve leak

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,947 Posts
Yes, they fail through some internal seal. Seems as easy to fix as to plug up. I'd use mine in the winter around here if I had one. :)

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
1,681 Posts
I don't have headlight washers myself, but I'm intrigued by this thread. Are we saying that if you have headlight washers that you cannot remove the battery as that would cause a leak? Maybe I'm missing something here.....?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Why the headlight washer nozzles not leaking? This should be the debate question, not why it's leaking.
As these nozzles and the pump are under the water level, then why water not leaking 24/7?

I think these hoses must have a pressure valve: above a threshold it lets water through, and blocks the water otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
1,681 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
Why the headlight washer nozzles not leaking? This should be the debate question, not why it's leaking.
As these nozzles and the pump are under the water level, then why water not leaking 24/7?

I think these hoses must have a pressure valve: above a threshold it lets water through, and blocks the water otherwise.
Yes, they have a residual pressure valve that has a higher cracking pressure than
what's needed to get them to extend. Once they're extended, the pressure increases
some more, and then they squirt.

All of ours have failed in the extension element somewhre
(seals? body cracking? I never bothered to look)
and so I swapped tanks to eliminate the pump for them.

One of the crappier BMW tack- ons, those washers. Cute idea,
poor execution.

t

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So ,the pump internal seal failed correct ?

I'm confused, should water go thru pump with no power or not if working correctly

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,947 Posts
Wasp, as I know I wrote that there is an internal seal, I'll explain...I can't disagree with Sapote. :)

When my washer fluid disappeared on me too quickly, it was because when I used the washer, it squirted out the nozzles as it should, but also out of the pump itself. So, when energized it leaked, but only then.

Sounds like you should listen to those who have troubleshot this mechanism...I never had headlight cleaning.

Now I don't even have a temperature gauge. :(

·
Registered
2003, 330Ci Convertible, AT
63 Posts
Wasp, as I know I wrote that there is an internal seal, I'll explain...I can't disagree with Sapote. :)

When my washer fluid disappeared on me too quickly, it was because when I used the washer, it squirted out the nozzles as it should, but also out of the pump itself. So, when energized it leaked, but only then.

Sounds like you should listen to those who have troubleshot this mechanism...I never had headlight cleaning.

Now I don't even have a temperature gauge. :(
Did you do something to block the line feeding the headlight washer?

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you do something to block the line feeding the headlight washer?
He didn't have them ,it's an option, part of cold weather package

Headlight washers

Heated seats

And maybe something else ,not sure

I don't drive car in winter or rain

Trashes your paint

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to try capping it off

If that doesn't hold, I'll fill the hole with sealant and when I sell the car someday ,put a new pump in

I.thought about the single tank when I replaced the main pump ,bit since it's an option ,I'd rather leave it and just not use it

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If yiu have headlight washers ,there are two pumps in tank instead of one

·
Premium Member
2002 BMW 540Ti, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2001 325Ci
1,000 Posts
I'm going to try capping it off

If that doesn't hold, I'll fill the hole with sealant and when I sell the car someday ,put a new pump in

I.thought about the single tank when I replaced the main pump ,bit since it's an option ,I'd rather leave it and just not use it
I ve deleted several headlight washers systems an found that a spare brake caliper pin fits the hole for the pump nice an tight, no leaks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts