E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now before anyone crucifies me here... I'd be buying another e46!!!

Alright, so for my first car I bought a salvaged title 2001 330i: Steel Blue/Black leather, 2 years and ~10,000 miles (so low because I spent half of this time at college) later I've absolutely fallen in love with the car and am hooked on the 3 series. However, my godfather now has a newer one for sale to the tune of about 7,500-8,000 dollars (This hasn't been ironed out yet I'm not entirely sure) and I don't really know what to do! I'm looking for some advice from people that know waay more about these cars than me.

Current: 2001 330i
95k miles, burns some oil, has black leather interior, replaced 3 window regulators, love this car, intermittent SES light (throwing some obscure code that we can't seem to fix), runs like a dream, no mods, etc.

Looking to sell the car (currently in great shape) for about 6,500$ (too much?)

Possible: 2005 325xi
-75k miles, only 3 panels had to be replaced with minor under-hood damage (no bent frame).
-Silver on Beige leatherette interior (prefer blue/black but I can definitely deal)
-Gets about 7-10mpg more than my car (Test-drove it)
-Only thing different is Mtech front bumper (he slapped that on after the accident)
-Facelifted (I find myself preferring the older look at the moment)
-4 wheel drive
-VERY similar options to mine

What do you guys think? This is more of a tactical move than anything else (because at this moment I am biased towards my current car), I think that my car's resale is tanking and the fact that the other one is face-lifted would allow me to make a bit back when I go to sell this thing... Honestly I feel stupid not knowing at all what I should do, what do you guys think?

Also, to anyone that has done something similar or knows: Did they fix things like the design of the window regulators and stuff by 2005 or can I expect to replace all that BS again (would gladly do :p), any other major changes between the years (EX: I read that the CD Player will now do mp3 CDs)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unless the 325 is a 5 speed and your 330 is auto is the only way I'd do it.... I'll trade ya for mine lol

·
Registered
607 Posts
me personally, I much prefer the facelifted sedans to the preface ones. Like you said, his car is newer and has less mileage, albeit with a less appealing color combo. Still, if you're into the whole AWD thing, I'd make the jump. Just be warned though, you might have a hard time selling your car for what you think it's worth, given it has a salvaged title

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You two raise some valid points, like I said the car feels like it just has less heart, but hopefully being able to sell it for more later is what would make me switch. And I mean, it's not that beige isn't my thing, I don't feel that it's, for lack of a better word, as cool as the black one. And yeah I'm staying real flexible with the price I'm gonna try to sell mine for, If I wouldn't be able to rake in even close to that amount, then I'd probably just stick to it anyways, fine by me :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And Dudeck, my car is in New Jersey, you're in Gainesville, meet me at Georgia Tech in Atlanta and maybe we can work out a deal lmfao

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Buying a newer, lower mileage car of the same make/model to pay less depreciation makes no sense. OTOH, if a 325xi is pulling 7-10MPG more than your 330i, there is something seriously wrong with your car or you're mistaken. 325xi's are the least fuel efficient of the non-M E46 sedans.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Buying a newer, lower mileage car of the same make/model to pay less depreciation makes no sense. OTOH, if a 325xi is pulling 7-10MPG more than your 330i, there is something seriously wrong with your car or you're mistaken. 325xi's are the least fuel efficient of the non-M E46 sedans.
What he said...

Your going to spend 2 or 3 grand buying the new car, just so (maybe) you can get 2 or 3 grand more when you sell it? Not to mention at this point, the 01 will depreciate slower than the 05

Plus the 05 is slower, will likely require more maint (xi), worse color combo, and should be getting worse mileage. Plus your going to have to pay taxes on the new car and have higher insurance... doesn't seem like the right move

Take some of that money and figure out why your 330 mpg sucks. Get a peake scan tool so you can actually figure out the random CEL. With a normal mix of highway/city you should still pull 23-26 average.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your cooling system may be on borrowed time, are there fluid spots where you park it? my 72k 04 330i is slowly leaking coolant and ATF I thnk it's the return line on the PS... I'm gonna be spending about 4-800 in the next few days refreshing cooling system CA/CABs and hopefully just a PS return line. As a DIYer I'll be saving a few grand and getting good parts. A non diyers bet will hurt if you don't have friends with lifts.

just some maintenace factors to consider.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts