E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking about selling my 323i to get another used one. The reason is because i want to buy one with a manual transmission. The money that i would spend swapping trannys with the car i have is not worth it so i think im better off getting a different car. I was thinking about getting a two door 323 or 328 and if not a two door then a four door. Should i even bother doing this? Are there any problems with the two door bmws that 4 doors dont have? Do 328's have a lot of problems? Thanks for the help and opinions.....

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,290 Posts
gusdagoos said:
Ive been thinking about selling my 323i to get another used one. The reason is because i want to buy one with a manual transmission. The money that i would spend swapping trannys with the car i have is not worth it so i think im better off getting a different car. I was thinking about getting a two door 323 or 328 and if not a two door then a four door. Should i even bother doing this? Are there any problems with the two door bmws that 4 doors dont have? Do 328's have a lot of problems? Thanks for the help and opinions.....
Some issues you should be aware of when considering the two door model over the four door:

-Weather stripping around windows tends to fall out/come unglued on the coupe. This problem is fairly rare on sedans.
-On the coupe, large doors with frameless windows and looser chassis means the coupe is more prone to rattles and misaligned parts.
-While both models experience it, there seems to be a larger incidence of subframe failure on coupes than sedans. That's an unscientific estimate based on a large sampling of users on this board who have experienced it...the large majority of whom are coupe owners.

Those are the common issues.

As for the engine...while not abundant on the market, used 328's are a very good buy right now. The 330 really knocked used 328 prices down, despite the fact that both were similarly priced when new. Reliability on the 328 should be comparable to a similarly equipped 323.

Compared to a 323, the horsepower difference isn't particularly signficant, but the 328 does have more usable torque, especially in the low to mid rev ranges. I would get the 328 if you can find one.

That said, coming from an auto 323, you would probably be fairly happy with a manual 323 as well. It is (and definitely feels) considerably quicker than the auto version, and feels lively and responsive. The 323 also feels somewhat lighter on it's feet than the 328/330 for some reason (well, I think it actually is, by at least 100 lbs).

·
Bahn Burnah
2,285 Posts
gusdagoos said:
thanks for all the help in helping me decide what i should do. I think i want to get a 328 but now i need to figure out if i should get a two door or four door
4 door, I think you'll miss the extra doors if you switch out. It would be different if you didn't already have a 4dr. But you'll just notice little things that you won't be convienent anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.