E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm at 200K+ and a have a leaky VCG. I've been thinking about doing the VANOS seals when I redo the VCG, but I have no symptoms: Idle is solid, power seems good, no rattle.

So should I do it while I'm in there or leave well enough alone?

·
Registered
624 Posts
If they have never been done, or it's been ~50K miles, I would do them. The work is easy enough and cheap enough.

My only symptom was a little hickup around 3K RPM when accelerating in 3rd gear under load.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My two cents, for what it's worth....

Most people on this board spend way too much money fixing things that aren't a problem. For many of the "issues" that people throw money at, there is a simple cause. Expansion tanks (typically) don't explode by themselves. Commonly this is caused by an external factor like the blade on the water pump coming apart. Rear sub frames commonly tear when the diff bushings haven't been properly inspected and replaced. While it is possible, it's quite unlikely they will tear without that, impact or another external factor. Anyways, the reason I bring this up on my little rant. If the seals are in-deed leaking, you should replace them.

I do have one question, how do you know they are leaking?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't know if the VANOS seals are leaky. But the VCG is and I've heard a lot about the VANOS issue. I just wonder if I should do the extra work while I have the valve cover off anyway. I doesn't look too hard but it is an extra $60-$70 ( I know, that's not too much). Plus there's a minor risk of breaking something, but I'm not too worried about that.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Expansion tanks (typically) don't explode by themselves. Commonly this is caused by an external factor like the blade on the water pump coming apart.
Expansion tanks don't typically explode. More common failure mode is that they crack and start leaking. While a blade could come apart on a water pump, that doesn't happen often.

There are a number of people, myself included, that do throw money at preventative maintenance. Cooling system is a great example ... do you wait for the system to break and possibly overheat the engine or do periodic maintenance to forestall cooling issues? Automatic transmission fluid is another. And there are others.

OP, I replaced my vanos seals at 52K miles. No indication they were bad, however, they were almost 10 years old and a known weak point. I was surprised that the engine was peppier after replacing the seals. At 200K miles, no brainer to replace them. Available instructions are very good, too.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
i have a 05 and no symptoms and i really want to do my seals ... it seems when at 15 mph under load in 3rd i really have no go power and i think the seals could fix that but honestly i wasent sure...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've pretty much decided to do them. Won't be for a couple of weeks though. I'll keep you posted.
Steven747, I wouldn't expect any power in 3rd at 15mph in a 328/330. No way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't know if the VANOS seals are leaky. But the VCG is and I've heard a lot about the VANOS issue. I just wonder if I should do the extra work while I have the valve cover off anyway. I doesn't look too hard but it is an extra $60-$70 ( I know, that's not too much). Plus there's a minor risk of breaking something, but I'm not too worried about that.
I can't fault a person for wanting to take good care of their car, but you can go broke doing it if you replace every "weak point". If the cover is off and you don't mind spending the $70 bucks, than go for it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I done mine there yesterday. Car drove fine but had the rattle. Also the seals felt loose when I was inspecting so was obviously worth doing. Also found out my DISA is knackered so will be fixing that. As said though car feels fine and made good power on the dyno.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Parts Ordered. Will post the results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts