BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day as i was backing my 99 328i out of the garage i looked in my rear view and saw an abnormal amount of exhaust. At first i thought it was just very cold so the exhaust was very visible but i got out of the car had checked it for myself, the smoke coming out of my tail pipe was bone white, and was coming out more than normal exhaust. It looked like i had taped a rock-concert fog machine to the bottom of my bumper. I checked a couple different forums and people are saying things about the head gasket, and the ccv, and the anti-freeze/coolant. Here's a short video i took of the problem:

https://youtu.be/ENnL5qfr4dw

I left it running, thinking maybe there was something in the exhaust that needed to air out and after a couple minutes it DID appear to become less and less. However, the next day i started my car and the same large amount of white smoke came out of my tailpipe. Hopefully, someone can tell me what exactly is wrong with my car? i'm no e46 expert! SEND HELP! :cry:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Looks like normal condensation in cold weather. What was the temperature when you noticed that? Does it burn oil or overheat? If not you are probably just seeing normal condensation. It was -15 in Chicago last week and that weather probably went your way a few days later. (NY plate) Warm moist exhaust will look like steam especially on a cold start in below zero temperature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts