BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I've currently got a 325ci Sport pack, as seen in my sig pic.

The question is should I trade it in for a 350zx or a RX-8, or stick with the BMW?
These cars have just come out recently in the UK, they both look good, and drive well.......

My question is.....as trends for cars tend to start in the USA, what are your opinions on the two cars, plus points and negatives? They got any street cred? Whats are their resale values like? Do they hold their price well?

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
417 Posts
TitanSport said:
Guys,
I've currently got a 325ci Sport pack, as seen in my sig pic.

The question is should I trade it in for a 350zx or a RX-8, or stick with the BMW?
These cars have just come out recently in the UK, they both look good, and drive well.......

My question is.....as trends for cars tend to start in the USA, what are your opinions on the two cars, plus points and negatives? They got any street cred? Whats are their resale values like? Do they hold their price well?

Cheers in advance.
350z ALL THE WAY!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
i'm in the same position you are in, but here are the things i've gotten from others.

The resale value will always be better for a Bimmer than a japense car (350z, rx-8)

I've heard the 350Z does have more power than the 325 but the interior of the 350Z is really cheap, a lot of plastic. The driving is loud and there have been a lot of problems with that car, but what car doesnt. The design is getting old here in america because a lot of teenagers have one. One member told me that his brother bought a 350Z and said that it wasnt quite there. Like if he could do it all over again... he would of just saved a few more dollars and get a better car that was all there. There's not much to say, if you want the prestige and the luxary, then stick with the bimmer. If you want speed and thats it... then get the 350Z, but a 330 will be right behind you not too far away and the m3 will eat you.... so... yeah.

I know nothing about the rx-8 except.... that the back seats are useless, but is a fun car to drive. Also that you'll only get power at higher rpms.

if you want some speed and some luxary, look into the G35c or just stick with the bimmer

Edwin

·
///Andrew Alewine
5,286 Posts
I've been in both, let me tell you somthing. The 350z after driving in it for more than 30 minutes is unbareable. The seats are extremely uncomfortable, and as well as the straight-line sports suspension. With the RX8 you'll have somthing new, affordable and it's comfortable.

I say get the RX8.

·
P.I.M.P.
2,477 Posts
RX-8 has no torque, and is really not that fast speed wise(ie same as 330). It is very light, however. Unless you plan on taking it to the track or taking corners at ridiculous speeds, you wont see any benefit to its light weight. I'd say the 350Z, if you can stand the fugly rear.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I can't imagine going from the luxery of a BMW into a 350z. So many things about that car I'm not too happy with. Like everyone above said, the interior is totally cheap and flimsy. The clutch is extremely soft although the gearbox is pretty short. There have also been a major suspension recall/flaw so I hear and I know someone who just took a HUGE HIT on the depreciation of a 350z only owned a few months. My brother owns one and I personally hate to even drive the thing, the seats are very limited as to how they adjust and it is just a very uncomfortable driving experience. The car has some decent speed though, it all depends on what you are willing to sacrifice I guess.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i dunno much about the RX8.. but from recently mazda put out a report saying they screwed up about the horsepower rating... and that it's actually has 30-40 less horsepower than they had previously claimed... plus.. those Rotary engines are walking timebombs..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My own observations in my recent new car quest: The nissan's interior is horribly cheap for a car of this price range, as is its Infiniti twin (G35c). If that doesn't bother you then it certainly performs well albeit a purely "sport" ride. I didn't check out the Mazda much in my search for a new car, but from what I've looked at, again, the interior is cheap looking/feeling. I haven't driven the Mazda so no comments there. Overall I think the BMW beats out any other cars in its class, except you will pay a premium $ for it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
keep your bimmer....the neither of the other two will hold their value as well as the BMW and the bimmer looks better than the other two...if you do get one of the others, though, get the rx-8 because i have heard bad things about the nissan

·
Registered
277 Posts
stick with your bimmer get some mods and go tacke some 350z and rx-8 with class and style. That's what I'm doing with my 323ci.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
K-DOG said:
RX-8 has no torque, and is really not that fast speed wise(ie same as 330). It is very light, however. Unless you plan on taking it to the track or taking corners at ridiculous speeds, you wont see any benefit to its light weight. I'd say the 350Z, if you can stand the fugly rear.
The driving dynamics of the RX-8 are in a whole different league. The best way I can describe it is like a big, comfy Miata.

And as a plus, you really can throw people in the back seat.

I've been entertaining the thought of picking up a used RX-8 in a few years. They ought to be dirt cheap by then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you should stick with your 325Ci. Maybe it does not have all the power in the world, but power isn't everything.

·
Registered
780 Posts
madrv1 said:
stick with your bimmer get some mods and go tacke some 350z and rx-8 with class and style. That's what I'm doing with my 323ci.
I just got back from a track event, there where very many 350Z's and 2 RX8's. My car is a 325ci with H&R cupkit, UUC TSE2, UUC SSK, and UUC tranny mounts, as well as R compound tires wrapped around 17in rims that weighed 17lbs.

I can't say that my car can beat out a 350Z or RX8 out on the track... but it can certainly keep up & be a close match with 350Z's and RX8's driven by experienced drivers. The biggest weakness I saw in my car at the track where the stock brakes, which prevented me from braking aggressivle into corners...

My other friend had a modded E36 M3 who is faster than me in the straights but slower in the turns. He was telling me that the RX8's where very fast through the turns and can carry lots of speed... enough that if the RX8 was ahead there would be no way he could catch it. But if the RX8 was behind the RX8 would not have enough power to pass him/ unless tha RX8 driver held back before the turn to allow himself to have a higher exit speed than my friends M3 to pass him right after the turn.

I suppose with bigger brakes, intake, chip, lightweight flywheel, and 3.46 diff swap... my 325ci would be able to beat out RX8's and 350Z's on a track.

On the other hand, i have heard many good things about the RX8 and am very very tempted to test drive it.

BTW, because MAzda screwed up with the HP on the RX8, they offer to either buy back the car from current owners, give big rebates, or provide a 10year 100000 miles warranty on it.

On the other hand, i have a friend that works with Nissan selling his 350Z set up as both a track and touring model. From what i remember this package is something you cannot get together.

·
E46Fanatic
3,128 Posts
although the 325 is too slow for me, i'd probably keep it. best all around car out of the three

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,679 Posts
personally, i wouldn't get rid of my bimmer for either of the two you've mentioned, i would consider the g35c (which may not be available in the UK?)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts