buy one through the site sponsors

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I just installed my K&N, I love it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
alright guys my factory airbox is broken and need to get a replacement. the OEM airbox is over $500 which is pointless. Instead im gonna replace with something kinda cheap after market.... i dont expect any power increase, just a sound difference, what do u think of this as replacement?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=320166984299&rd=1
While K&N calls it an intake, it is really just a replacement for the air filter box, as opposed to the actual intake manifold that attaches to the throttle bodies.
Anyway, just out of curiosity, how did the old one "break"?

I honestly think that this intake will be WORSE performance wise, as it will not truly take in cold air as the factory one does, as it does not have a direct connection to the kidneys (but OE does). While this may be less restrictive, that is the biggest marketing scam in the auto industry. A less restrictive air intake only benifits at WOT (wide open throttle), otherwise the throttle bodies are restricting the air flow anyways--that is their job. Unless you run your car track only, your use of WOT is fairly minimal.

An aftermarket intake should mimic the original design drawing air somewhat from outside the engine bay. Take a look at the one from Turner Motorsports. I know you said you are not expecting a power increase, but I, personally, would pass on this.

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
I honestly think that this intake will be WORSE performance wise, as it will not truly take in cold air as the factory one does, as it does not have a direct connection to the kidneys (but OE does). While this may be less restrictive, that is the biggest marketing scam in the auto industry. A less restrictive air intake only benifits at WOT (wide open throttle), otherwise the throttle bodies are restricting the air flow anyways--that is their job. Unless you run your car track only, your use of WOT is fairly minimal.

wtf?

the plastic air intake hose from the kidneys that go into the stock airbox connectw directly into where the heat shield is......... there is a hole in it so it fits perfect

so there is cold air going right into that box
and the heat shield itself works pretty damn good too

fits great and there is rubber trim on top of the shield to "seal" itself when the hood closes.....

see sig

·
Registered
763 Posts
wtf?

the plastic air intake hose from the kidneys that go into the stock airbox connectw directly into where the heat shield is......... there is a hole in it so it fits perfect

so there is cold air going right into that box
and the heat shield itself works pretty damn good too

fits great and there is rubber trim on top of the shield to "seal" itself when the hood closes.....

see sig
That is why I asked him what he meant by "broken", as I'm wondering if THAT is what is broken. The picture of the part from ebay he linked to does not include that, so if that is the OE part that is no good, he will not have that. I have seen a lot of people run these without using the OE duct off the kidneys, and I wanted to make sure he was not going to employ that "method".

Also, looking at the pic in your sig, what keeps all the heat from the rad from going right into the intake? I see how the shield keeps the heat from the actual engine block away, and I see the hood seal (assuming it seals tight), but everything coming off the colling system (which is be definition heated) seems to flow right in.

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
That is why I asked him what he meant by "broken", as I'm wondering if THAT is what is broken. The picture of the part from ebay he linked to does not include that, so if that is the OE part that is no good, he will not have that. I have seen a lot of people run these without using the OE duct off the kidneys, and I wanted to make sure he was not going to employ that "method".

Also, looking at the pic in your sig, what keeps all the heat from the rad from going right into the intake? I see how the shield keeps the heat from the actual engine block away, and I see the hood seal (assuming it seals tight), but everything coming off the colling system (which is be definition heated) seems to flow right in.
ya i was thinking that too........ how the hell do you break an intake? :hmm:

i'm sure a little heat comes in from the radiator, but i would think that the cold air flowing in would help out a lot compared to the heat of the radiator, no?

i gotta get a thermometer and check to see how cold it stayed in there....
i would love to know if that little intake hose really works :dunno:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
All K&N intakes like the one that was linked come with a heatshield. Right out of the box the heatshield is not enough to block heat properlly. However there are heat reflective tapes that you can wrap the outside of the shield with, as well as the radiator hose that is exposed to the intake. The intake isn't perfect but with a little effort can be made better than stock. You can also get a upgraded heatshield from ECIS thats made for that intake. Its much better at disapating heat. Alot of people claim very good results with the K&N intake and the ECIS filter and heatshield.
The K&N FIPK intake does remove the factory rubber boot which has ribbing that would interfere with a smooth airflow also.
All in all I'd say its a worth while upgrade, especially if you need to replace your stock intake, but like was mentioned make sure to keep your stock air ducting in place.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I love the K&N 63 which I have right now, but If you really want to keep it stock. I have a stock intake that I am trying to sell with a bunch of other stuff.

If you arent really trying to go aftermarket, I can send you the stock box for say $150 + shipping.
You can click the "i got stuff for sale" link at the bottom of my sig to see pics.

If you are looking to go aftermarket and want something reasonably priced, go with a K&N63 for like $300 and if you want, upgrade the heat shield to the fiberglass one for another $100.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Streamline now makes a silicone boot to replace the factory piece. It has a bloated section by the intake manifold which increases plenum air volume right before the engine plenum.

check it out here
Saw that too, combine that with a stock airbox and streamline filter and you would be set.

I think aftermarket intakes will outflow the stock airbox, but they also suffer from serious heat soak. The stock airbox will always be cooler.

My car came with a K&N63, so I slapped on a Streamline filter asap... I dont have the fiberglass filter though... You can really see how important the filberglass heatsheild is when you compare the stock sheild from the K&N63.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So, did the K&N 57 replace the 63, and therefore the ECIS heatshield will fit it as well? Sounds like those 2 are the best bang for the $$

·
Registered
35 Posts
hey my friend i would go with the k and n typhoon kit from turner motorsports it was like 311 shipped and the instructions were soo easy to follow and took les than an hour to install

1 - 20 of 20 Posts